Antecedents and outcomes of modular production in the Brazilian automobile industry: a grounded theory approach
AbstractOur paper focuses on how foreign automobile manufacturers in Brazil have implemented and benefited from strategic modularization. Based on our case studies and in-depth interviews, we developed a theoretical framework to examine the antecedents and outcomes of strategic modularization. Our theoretical framework suggests that strategic modularization may help improve a firm's positional advantage by reducing the cost of managing tacit knowledge. In addition, the adoption of strategic modularization influences the nature of relationships with major suppliers, further blurring the boundaries of the firm. Journal of International Business Studies (2007) 38, 84–106. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400244
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baier, Elisabeth & Rammer, Christian & Schuber, Torben, 2013.
"The impact on innovation off-shoring on organizational adaptability,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
13-109, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Baier , Elisabeth & Rammer , Christian & Schubert , Torben, 2013. "The Impact of Innovation Off-shoring on Organizational Adaptability," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/44, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Han, Chaodong & Porterfield, Tobin & Li, Xiaolin, 2012. "Impact of industry competition on contract manufacturing: An empirical study of U.S. manufacturers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 159-169.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra & Benny Kramer Costa, 2011. "The RBV in International Business Studies: A bibliometric study of Barney?s (1991) contribution to the field," Working Papers 82, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Mauri, Alfredo J. & Neiva de Figueiredo, João, 2012. "Strategic Patterns of Internationalization and Performance Variability: Effects of US-Based MNC Cross-Border Dispersion, Integration, and Outsourcing," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-51.
- Hätönen, Jussi, 2009. "Making the locational choice: A case approach to the development of a theory of offshore outsourcing and internationalization," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 61-76, March.
- Lassar, Walfried & Haar, Jerry & Montalvo, Raúl & Hulser, Leslie, 2010. "Determinants Of Strategic Risk Management In Emerging Markets Supply Chains: The Case Of Mexico," Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science, Universidad ESAN, vol. 15(28), pages 125-140.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Nuno Rosa Reis & Fernando Ribeiro Serra & Benny Kramer Costa, 2013. "Understanding the footprint of the RBV in International Business studies: The last twenty years of research," Working Papers 96, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Muethel, Miriam & Hoegl, Martin, 2012. "The influence of social institutions on managers’ concept of trust: Implications for trust-building in Sino-German relationships," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 420-434.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar (Raj) G. & Dixit, Ashutosh & Scherer, Robert F., 2009. "Outsourcing to emerging markets: Theoretical perspectives and policy implications," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Luo, Yadong & Sun, Jinyun & Wang, Stephanie Lu, 2011. "Comparative strategic management: An emergent field in international management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 190-200, September.
- Parente, Ronaldo C. & Baack, Daniel W. & Hahn, Eugene D., 2011. "The effect of supply chain integration, modular production, and cultural distance on new product development: A dynamic capabilities approach," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 278-290.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.