The performance implications of strategic fit of relational norm governance strategies in global supply chain relationships
AbstractThe search for strategic fit has become a core concept in normative models of strategy formation. The issue of strategic fit is becoming increasingly important in global supply chain relationships as managers and academics examine the effectiveness of culturally founded relational governance strategies across multiple supply chain relationships. This study empirically examines the performance implications of strategic fit of relational norm governance strategies in global supply chain relationships between US firms and their primary Japanese and US partners. The performance implications of fitting relational norm governance strategies (i.e., information exchange, flexibility and solidarity) across culturally diverse partners are tested. Results indicate that firm performance is enhanced when the relational norms of information exchange and solidarity are fit to culturally founded norm expectations across culturally diverse relationships simultaneously. Implications for theory and practice are discussed. Journal of International Business Studies (2005) 36, 254–269. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400131
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brouthers, Lance Eliot & Mukhopadhyay, Somnath & Wilkinson, Timothy J. & Brouthers, Keith D., 2009. "International market selection and subsidiary performance: A neural network approach," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 262-273, July.
- Parente, Ronaldo C. & Baack, Daniel W. & Hahn, Eugene D., 2011. "The effect of supply chain integration, modular production, and cultural distance on new product development: A dynamic capabilities approach," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 278-290.
- Vivek, Shiri D. & Richey Jr., R. Glenn & Dalela, Vivek, 2009. "A longitudinal examination of partnership governance in offshoring: A moving target," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 16-30, January.
- Griffith, David A. & Zhang, Chun & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Attributions of noncooperative incidents and response strategies: The role of national character," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 356-367, December.
- Lumineau, Fabrice & Henderson, James, 2012. "The influence of relational experience and contractual governance on the negotiation strategy in buyer-supplier disputes," MPRA Paper 38510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lopes, Miguel Vieira, 2012. "A Comparative Analysis of Strategic Management Practices in Michigan Agribusiness Firms: 1992 vs. 2012," Graduate Research Masters Degree Plan B Papers 142014, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Die Messung des Kooperationserfolges in der empirischen Forschung: Ergebnisse einer Literaturstudie," Arbeitspapiere 76, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- D. Vandaele & P. Gemmel, 2007. "Dealing with Business Service Transactions after the Sourcing Decision: Influence of Contract and Uncertainty," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/432, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Griffith, David A., 2011. "Insights into gaining access to export financing: Understanding export lenders' ideal exporter profile," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 84-92, January.
- Fullerton, Rosemary R. & Kennedy, Frances A. & Widener, Sally K., 2013. "Management accounting and control practices in a lean manufacturing environment," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 50-71.
- Revilla, Elena & Sáenz, María Jesús, 2014. "Supply chain disruption management: Global convergence vs national specificity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1123-1135.
- Dong, Maggie Chuoyan & Tse, David K. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2008. "Efficiency of governance mechanisms in China's distribution channels," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 509-519, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.