Intellectual property rights and the governance of international R&D partnerships
AbstractThis paper studies the degree to which country differences in intellectual property rights protection affect the choice of companies for a particular mode of international inter-firm R&D partnering. It focuses on the preference of companies for either an equity joint venture or a contractual partnership. We find that international differences in intellectual property rights protection are a significant factor: with less secure protection, firms choose R&D joint ventures rather than contractual partnerships. The level of technological change in industries has an inverse effect on the preference for international R&D joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies (2005) 36, 175–186. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400122
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Garcia-Canal, Esteban & Valdes-Llaneza, Ana & Sanchez-Lorda, Pablo, 2008. "Technological flows and choice of joint ventures in technology alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 97-114, February.
- Hagedoorn, John & Lorenz-Orlean, Stefanie & Kranenburg, Hans, 2007.
"Inter-firm technology transfer: Partnership-embedded licensing or standard licensing agreements?,"
MERIT Working Papers
006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- John Hagedoorn & Stefanie Lorenz-Orlean & Hans van Kranenburg, 2009. "Inter-firm technology transfer: partnership-embedded licensing or standard licensing agreements?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 529-550, June.
- Hitt, Michael A. & Franklin, Victor & Zhu, Hong, 2006. "Culture, institutions and international strategy," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 222-234, June.
- Hagedoorn, John & Lorenz-Orlean, Stefanie & Kranenburg, Hans, 2007. "Inter-firm technology transfer: Partnership-embedded licensing or standard licensing agreements?," MERIT Working Papers 006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Papageorgiadis, Nikolaos & Cross, Adam R. & Alexiou, Constantinos, 2013. "The impact of the institution of patent protection and enforcement on entry mode strategy: A panel data investigation of U.S. firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 278-292.
- Nill, Alexander & Shultz II, Clifford J., 2009. "Global software piracy: Trends and strategic considerations," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 289-298, May.
- Andrea Fernández-Ribas & Philip Shapira, 2009. "Technological diversity, scientific excellence and the location of inventive activities abroad: the case of nanotechnology," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 286-303, June.
- Hamid Beladi & Lu Liu & Reza Oladi, . "A Holistic View of Trade, Pollution Permits and Abatement," Working Papers 0002, College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Martínez-Noya, Andrea & García-Canal, Esteban, 2011. "Technological capabilities and the decision to outsource/outsource offshore R&D services," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 264-277, June.
- Slangen, Arjen H.L. & van Tulder, Rob J.M., 2009. "Cultural distance, political risk, or governance quality? Towards a more accurate conceptualization and measurement of external uncertainty in foreign entry mode research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 276-291, June.
- Li, Jiatao & Kozhikode, Rajiv Krishnan, 2009. "Developing new innovation models: Shifts in the innovation landscapes in emerging economies and implications for global R&D management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 328-339, September.
- Preet S Aulakh & Marshall S Jiang & Yigang Pan, 2010. "International technology licensing: Monopoly rents, transaction costs and exclusive rights," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-605, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.