Broadening the foreign market entry mode decision: separating ownership and control
AbstractThis paper argues that the ownership and control dimensions of foreign market entry mode choice should be separated, and that foreign market entry mode decisions should be expanded to business activities beyond production and distribution. Empirical results from the global hotel industry indicate that the transferability of the entrant's competitive advantages, the local market's absorptive capacity, and the availability of trustworthy local partners differentially affect the ownership and control dimensions of the entry mode decision. Journal of International Business Studies (2003) 34, 473–488. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400050
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J. Windsperger, 2009. "Allocation of decision rights in joint ventures," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(8), pages 491-501.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Tobias Stucki & Heinz Hollenstein, 2013. "Determinants of Internationalisation – Do they Differ among Sectors and Business Functions? Evidence from Firm-level Data," KOF Working papers 13-348, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Canabal, Anne & White III, George O., 2008. "Entry mode research: Past and future," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 267-284, June.
- Quer, Diego & Claver, Enrique & Andreu, Rosario, 2007. "Foreign market entry mode in the hotel industry: The impact of country- and firm-specific factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 362-376, June.
- Karhunen, Päivi, 2008. "Managing international business operations in a changing institutional context: The case of the St. Petersburg hotel industry," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 28-45, March.
- Brouthers, Lance Eliot & Mukhopadhyay, Somnath & Wilkinson, Timothy J. & Brouthers, Keith D., 2009. "International market selection and subsidiary performance: A neural network approach," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 262-273, July.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2011. "Foreign Markets Entry Mode Decision for Italian Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," MPRA Paper 50067, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Oct 2011.
- Karhunen, Päivi & Löfgren, Joan & Kosonen, Riitta, 2008. "Revisiting the relationship between ownership and control in international business operations: Lessons from transition economies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 78-88, March.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2009. "Foreign markets entry mode decision for SMEs. Key factors and role of industrial districts," MPRA Paper 32153, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.