How perceived brand globalness creates brand value
AbstractIn today's multinational marketplace, it is increasingly important to understand why some consumers prefer global brands to local brands. We delineate three pathways through which perceived brand globalness (PBG) influences the likelihood of brand purchase. Using consumer data from the U.S.A. and Korea, we find that PBG is positively related to both perceived brand quality and prestige and, through them, to purchase likelihood. The effect through perceived quality is strongest. PBG effects are weaker for more ethnocentric consumers. Journal of International Business Studies (2003) 34, 53–65. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhan, Lingjing & He, Yanqun, 2012. "Understanding luxury consumption in China: Consumer perceptions of best-known brands," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1452-1460.
- Rodrigues, Flávio & Souza, Victória & Leitão, João, 2009. "Strategic Coopetition of Global Brands: A Game Theory Approach to ‘Nike + iPod Sport Kit’ Co-branding," MPRA Paper 16146, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- He, Hongwei & Li, Yan & Harris, Lloyd, 2012. "Social identity perspective on brand loyalty," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 648-657.
- Reuber, A. Rebecca & Fischer, Eileen, 2011. "International entrepreneurship in internet-enabled markets," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 660-679.
- Melnyk, Valentyna & Giarratana, Marco & Torres, Anna, 2014. "Marking your trade: Cultural factors in the prolongation of trademarks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 478-485.
- Gianluigi Guido & M. Prete & Alessandro Peluso & R. Maloumby-Baka & Carolina Buffa, 2010. "The role of ethics and product personality in the intention to purchase organic food products: a structural equation modeling approach," International Review of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 79-102, March.
- Smith, Rachel & Deitz, George & Royne, Marla B. & Hansen, John D. & Grünhagen, Marko & Witte, Carl, 2013. "Cross-cultural examination of online shopping behavior: A comparison of Norway, Germany, and the United States," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 328-335.
- Yeniyurt, Sengun & Tamer Cavusgil, S. & Hult, G. Tomas M., 2005. "A global market advantage framework: the role of global market knowledge competencies," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Indre Pikturniene & Aiste Mackelaite, 2013. "Attitude Formation Towards Local And International Ecological Face And Body Care B.Nds Among Lithuanian Female Consumers," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 4(1).
- Gupta, Suraksha & Czinkota, Michael & Melewar, T.C., 2013. "Embedding knowledge and value of a brand into sustainability for differentiation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 287-296.
- Mahmut Sonmez & Deli Yang & Gerald Fryxell, 2013. "Interactive Role of Consumer Discrimination and Branding against Counterfeiting: A Study of Multinational Managers’ Perception of Global Brands in China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 115(1), pages 195-211, June.
- Cleveland, Mark & Laroche, Michel & Hallab, Ranim, 2013. "Globalization, culture, religion, and values: Comparing consumption patterns of Lebanese Muslims and Christians," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 958-967.
- Cleveland, Mark & Laroche, Michel & Takahashi, Ikuo & Erdoğan, Seçil, 2014. "Cross-linguistic validation of a unidimensional scale for cosmopolitanism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 268-277.
- Cleveland, Mark & Erdogan, Seçil & ArIkan, Gülay & Poyraz, Tugça, 2011. "Cosmopolitanism, individual-level values and cultural-level values: A cross-cultural study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 64(9), pages 934-943, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.