Equity Ownership in International Joint Ventures: The Impact of Source Country Factors
AbstractThis study examines the impact of four source country factors on the equity ownership in international joint ventures (IJVs). These factors are exchange rate, cost of borrowing, export capability, and management orientation. Based on a sample of 8,078 IJVs in China, this study shows that equity ownership tends to be higher for parent firms from a source country with strong currency, low cost of borrowing, strong export capability, and high uncertainty avoidance.© 2002 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2002) 33, 375–384
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duanmu, Jing-Lin, 2011. "The effect of corruption distance and market orientation on the ownership choice of MNEs: Evidence from China," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 162-174, June.
- Dora Triki & Moalla Emna & Pundrich Aline Pereira, 2012. "Les conflits dans les joint-ventures internationales (JVI) sous le prisme de la gestion de crise," Post-Print halshs-00690333, HAL.
- Pan, Yigang, 2003. "The inflow of foreign direct investment to China: the impact of country-specific factors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 829-833, October.
- Dow, Douglas & Ferencikova, Sonia, 2010. "More than just national cultural distance: Testing new distance scales on FDI in Slovakia," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 46-58, February.
- Jiang, Marshall S. & Chu, Rongwei & Pan, Yigang, 2011. "Anticipated duration of international joint ventures: A transaction cost perspective," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-183, June.
- Valeria Gattai, 2009.
"Firm’s intangible assets and multinational activity: full versus shared ownership,"
154, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2009.
- Valeria Gattai, 2010. "Firm's intangible assets and multinational activity: Full versus shared ownership," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 553-589.
- Canabal, Anne & White III, George O., 2008. "Entry mode research: Past and future," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 267-284, June.
- Lorenzo Casaburi & Valeria Gattai, 2009. "Why FDI? An Empirical Assessment Based on Contractual Incompleteness and Dissipation of Intangible Assets," Working Papers 164, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2009.
- Bowe, Michael & Golesorkhi, Sougand & Yamin, Mo, 2014. "Explaining equity shares in international joint ventures: Combining the influence of asset characteristics, culture and institutional differences," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 212-233.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011.
"The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India,"
Kiel Working Papers
1708, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2013. "The Role of Country-of-Origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-Reform India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 88-109.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 81, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," KOF Working papers 11-283, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Tsang, Eric W.K., 2005. "Influences on foreign ownership level and entry mode choice in Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 441-463, August.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
- Richards, Malika & Yang, Yi, 2007. "Determinants of foreign ownership in international R&D joint ventures: Transaction costs and national culture," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 110-130, June.
- Chung, Chris Changwha & Beamish, Paul W., 2012. "Multi-party international joint ventures: Multiple post-formation change processes," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 648-663.
- Indro, Daniel C. & Richards, Malika, 2007. "The determinants of foreign partner's equity ownership in Southeast Asian joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 177-206, April.
- Qiangbing Chen & Yali Liu & Lu Jiang, 2010. "Culture distance and foreign equity ownership in international joint ventures: Evidence from China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 189-203, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.