Toward a Cooperative View of MNC-Host Government Relations: Building Blocks and Performance Implications
AbstractThis study examines cooperation-based relations between MNCs and host governments. We theorize that resource commitment, personal relations, political accommodation, and organizational credibility are four building blocks for improving an MNC's cooperative relationships with governments. Analysis of 131 MNCs in China validates the importance of these blocks in shaping MNC–government relations and the importance of these relations in shaping the performance of MNC subsidiaries.© 2001 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2001) 32, 401–419
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eden, Lorraine & Molot, Maureen Appel, 2002. "Insiders, outsiders and host country bargains," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 359-388.
- Nell, Phillip C. & Andersson, Ulf, 2012. "The complexity of the business network context and its effect on subsidiary relational (over-) embeddedness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1087-1098.
- Nell, Phillip C. & Ambos, Bjérn & Schlegelmilch, Bodo B., 2011. "The MNC as an externally embedded organization: An investigation of embeddedness overlap in local subsidiary networks," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 497-505, October.
- Holtbrügge, Dirk & Berg, Nicola & Puck, Jonas F., 2007. "To bribe or to convince? Political stakeholders and political activities in German multinational corporations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 47-67, February.
- Luo, Yadong & Xue, Qiuzhi & Han, Binjie, 2010. "How emerging market governments promote outward FDI: Experience from China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 68-79, January.
- Conway, J. Edward, 2013. "The risk is in the relationship (not the country): Political risk management in the uranium industry in Kazakhstan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 201-209.
- Drogendijk, Rian & Andersson, Ulf, 2013. "Relationship development in Greenfield expansions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 381-391.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.