The Impact of Nationalism, Patriotism and Internationalism on Consumer Ethnocentric Tendencies
AbstractThe study investigates the impact of patriotism, nationalism and internationalism as antecedents to consumer ethnocentrism in Turkey and the Czech Republic. Controlling for demographics, the findings indicate that the impact of patriotism and nationalism is not consistent across the two countries. Consumer ethnocentrism in Turkey is fueled by patriotism, and in the Czech Republic by nationalism. Internationalism does not have a significant effect on consumer ethnocentrism in either country. Managerial implications of these findings are considered and future research directions are identified.© 2001 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2001) 32, 157–175
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liza Rybina & James Reardon & Janet Humphrey, 2010. "Patriotism, Cosmopolitanism, Consumer Ethnocentrism and Purchase Behavior in Kazakhstan," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 1(2).
- Vivian Iara Strehlau & Mateus Canniatti Ponchio & Eduardo Loebel, 2012. "An Assessment of the consumer ethnocentric scale (CETSCALE): evidences from Brazil," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 9(4), pages 103-126, October.
- Zhang, Jianhong & He, Xinming, 2014. "Economic nationalism and foreign acquisition completion: The case of China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 212-227.
- Dmitrovic, Tanja & Vida, Irena & Reardon, James, 2009. "Purchase behavior in favor of domestic products in the West Balkans," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 523-535, October.
- Denk, Nikola & Kaufmann, Lutz & Roesch, Jan-Frederik, 2012. "Liabilities of Foreignness Revisited: A Review of Contemporary Studies and Recommendations for Future Research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 322-334.
- Carvalho, Sergio W. & Luna, David, 2014. "Effects of national identity salience on responses to ads," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 1026-1034.
- Auger, Pat & Devinney, Timothy M. & Louviere, Jordan J. & Burke, Paul F., 2010. "The importance of social product attributes in consumer purchasing decisions: A multi-country comparative study," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 140-159, April.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar G. & Khare, Virginie Pioche & Gross, Andrew C. & Scherer, Robert F., 2005. "An application of the consumer ethnocentrism model to French consumers," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 325-344, June.
- Tana Cristina LICSANDRU & Leslie T. SZAMOSI & Nicolas PAPADOPOULOS, 2013. "The Impact of Country-of-Origin, Ethnocentrism and Animosity on Product Evaluation: Evidence from Romania," Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy Journal, College of Management, National University of Political Studies and Public Administration, vol. 1(2), pages 259-277, August.
- Thelen, Shawn & Ford, John B. & Honeycutt, Earl Jr., 2006. "The impact of regional affiliation on consumer perceptions of relationships among behavioral constructs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(9), pages 965-973, September.
- Kshetri, Nir, 2005. "Pattern of global cyber war and crime: A conceptual framework," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 541-562, December.
- Li, Yan & He, Hongwei, 2013. "Evaluation of international brand alliances: Brand order and consumer ethnocentrism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 89-97.
- Miller, Stewart R. & Richards, Malika, 2002. "Liability of foreignness and membership in a regional economic group: Analysis of the European Union," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 323-337.
- Murat Hakan Altintas & Bahar F. Kurtulmusoglu & Hans Ruediger Kaufmann & Serkan Kilic, 2013. "Consumer boycotts of foreign products: a metric model," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 15(34), pages 485-504, June.
- Riefler, Petra & Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2009. "Consumer cosmopolitanism: Review and replication of the CYMYC scale," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 407-419, April.
- Brijs, Kris & Bloemer, Josée & Kasper, Hans, 2011. "Country-image discourse model: Unraveling meaning, structure, and function of country images," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 1259-1269.
- Ahmed, Sadrudin A. & d'Astous, Alain, 2007. "Moderating effect of nationality on country-of-origin perceptions: English-speaking Thailand versus French-speaking Canada," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 240-248, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.