Does Culture Affect Behavior and Performance of Firms? The Case of Joint Ventures in China
AbstractThis study applies a resource-based view of the firm to analyze data from a sample of 898 joint-venture firms in China, including both joint ventures established by overseas Chinese and by firms from Western cultures. It is hypothesized that culture could influence the timing of entry of joint ventures, their investment preferences, and performance. ANOVAs and regressions were conducted, and the results suggest the impact of cultural as well as technological resources. This paper concludes with a discussion on the implications of the findings.© 2001 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2001) 32, 115–131
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zheng Xiaosong & Zhang Jinming, 2011. "Factors Influencing International Joint Venture Performance in China," Annals - Economic and Administrative Series -, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 5(1), pages 167-184, December.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan Png, 2003.
"Monitoring costs and the mode of international investment,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 261-274, July.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan Png, 2002. "Monitoring Costs and the Mode of International Investment," International Trade 0210004, EconWPA.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan P.L. Png, 2002. "Monitoring Costs and the Mode of International Investment," Industrial Organization 0207012, EconWPA.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Li, Ji & Tan, Yali & Cai, Zhenyao & Zhu, Hong & Wang, Xinran, 2013. "Regional differences in a national culture and their effects on leadership effectiveness: A tale of two neighboring Chinese cities," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 13-19.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2005. "Characteristics of Japanese FDI in the East and the West: Understanding the strategic motives of Japanese investment," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 254-266, August.
- Newburry, William & Zeira, Yoram & Yeheskel, Orly, 2003. "Autonomy and effectiveness of equity international joint ventures (IJVs) in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 395-419, August.
- Nemeth, Alexander, 2012. "A framework of international joint ventures exit: A resource dependence and learning perspective," Freiberg Working Papers 2012,02, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Ra, Wonchan & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2009. "Understanding IJV performance in a learning and conflict mediated context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 470-480, October.
- Gamble, Jos, 2006. "Introducing Western-style HRM practices to China: Shopfloor perceptions in a British multinational," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 328-343, December.
- Indro, Daniel C. & Richards, Malika, 2007. "The determinants of foreign partner's equity ownership in Southeast Asian joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 177-206, April.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.