Does Culture Affect Behavior and Performance of Firms? The Case of Joint Ventures in China
AbstractThis study applies a resource-based view of the firm to analyze data from a sample of 898 joint-venture firms in China, including both joint ventures established by overseas Chinese and by firms from Western cultures. It is hypothesized that culture could influence the timing of entry of joint ventures, their investment preferences, and performance. ANOVAs and regressions were conducted, and the results suggest the impact of cultural as well as technological resources. This paper concludes with a discussion on the implications of the findings.© 2001 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2001) 32, 115–131
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 32 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Newburry, William & Zeira, Yoram & Yeheskel, Orly, 2003. "Autonomy and effectiveness of equity international joint ventures (IJVs) in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 395-419, August.
- Nemeth, Alexander, 2012. "A framework of international joint ventures exit: A resource dependence and learning perspective," Freiberg Working Papers, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration 2012,02, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Indro, Daniel C. & Richards, Malika, 2007. "The determinants of foreign partner's equity ownership in Southeast Asian joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 177-206, April.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan Png, 2002.
"Monitoring Costs and the Mode of International Investment,"
International Trade, EconWPA
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan Png, 2003. "Monitoring costs and the mode of international investment," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 261-274, July.
- Chu-Chia S. Lin & Ivan P.L. Png, 2002. "Monitoring Costs and the Mode of International Investment," Industrial Organization, EconWPA 0207012, EconWPA.
- Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Die Messung des Kooperationserfolges in der empirischen Forschung: Ergebnisse einer Literaturstudie," Arbeitspapiere, WestfÃ¤lsche Wilhelms-UniversitÃ¤t MÃ¼nster (WWU), Institut fÃ¼r Genossenschaftswesen 76, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Li, Ji & Tan, Yali & Cai, Zhenyao & Zhu, Hong & Wang, Xinran, 2013. "Regional differences in a national culture and their effects on leadership effectiveness: A tale of two neighboring Chinese cities," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 13-19.
- Zheng Xiaosong & Zhang Jinming, 2011. "Factors Influencing International Joint Venture Performance in China," Annals - Economic and Administrative Series -, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 5(1), pages 167-184, December.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2005. "Characteristics of Japanese FDI in the East and the West: Understanding the strategic motives of Japanese investment," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 254-266, August.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Nassimbeni, Guido & Sartor, Marco, 2007. "Sourcing in China: a typology," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 333-349, June.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Ra, Wonchan & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2009. "Understanding IJV performance in a learning and conflict mediated context," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 470-480, October.
- Gamble, Jos, 2006. "Introducing Western-style HRM practices to China: Shopfloor perceptions in a British multinational," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 328-343, December.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.