Information Internalization and Hurdle Rates in Small and Medium Enterprise Internationalization
AbstractWe investigate the role of information in the internationalization of small and medium enterprises (SMEs). Information internalization is fundamentally antecedent to SME internationalization and is being facilitated increasingly by recent important trends. We offer a conceptual explanation and related propositions on information internalization, emphasizing hurdle rate theory for ascertaining the acceptability of firms' internationalization projects.© 1999 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1999) 30, 383–394
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tan, Alvin & Brewer, Paul & Liesch, Peter W., 2007. "Before the first export decision: Internationalisation readiness in the pre-export phase," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 294-309, June.
- Audra I.Mockaitis & Erika Vaiginene & Vincent Giedraitis, 2005.
"The Internationalization Efforts Of Lithuanian Manufacturing Firms - Strategy Or Luck?,"
- Mockaitis, Audra I. & Vaiginiene, Erika & Giedraitis, Vincent, 2006. "The internationalization efforts of lithuanian manufacturing firms--strategy or luck?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 111-126, March.
- Audra I.Mockaitis & Erika Vaiginiene & Vincent Giedraitis, 2005. "The Internationalization Efforts of Lithuanian Manufacturing Firms - Strategy of Luck?," Industrial Organization 0502001, EconWPA.
- Michailova, Snejina & Wilson, Heather I.M., 2008. "Small firm internationalization through experiential learning: The moderating role of socialization tactics," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 243-254, March.
- Nguyen, Tho D. & Barrett, Nigel J. & Fletcher, Richard, 2006. "Information internalisation and internationalisation--Evidence from Vietnamese firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 682-701, December.
- Zucchella, Antonella & Palamara, G. & Denicolai, S., 2007. "The drivers of the early internationalization of the firm," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 268-280, September.
- Jonsson, Sara & Lindbergh, Jessica, 2010. "The impact of institutional impediments and information and knowledge exchange on SMEs' investments in international business relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 548-561, December.
- Brewer, P., 2001. "International market selection: developing a model from Australian case studies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 155-174, April.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & Jones, Marian V., 2004. "Methodological issues in international entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 485-508, July.
- Zhou, Lianxi, 2007. "The effects of entrepreneurial proclivity and foreign market knowledge on early internationalization," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 281-293, September.
- McGaughey, Sara L., 2007. "Hidden ties in international new venturing: The case of portfolio entrepreneurship," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 307-321, September.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich, 2009. "Product business, foreign direct investment, and licensing: Examining their relationships in international technology exploitation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 407-420, October.
- Wolfgang Sofka, 2005.
"Global Idea Sourcing - An empirical investigation into the mechanisms behind the usage of foreign business sources for innovation,"
- Sofka, Wolfgang, 2005. "Global Idea Sourcing: An Empirical Investigation into the Mechanisms Behind the Usage of Foreign Business Sources for Innovation," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-53, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Haahti, Antti & Madupu, Vivekananda & Yavas, Ugur & Babakus, Emin, 2005. "Cooperative strategy, knowledge intensity and export performance of small and medium sized enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Acedo, Francisco J. & Jones, Marian V., 2007. "Speed of internationalization and entrepreneurial cognition: Insights and a comparison between international new ventures, exporters and domestic firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 236-252, September.
- Roza, Marja & Van den Bosch, Frans A.J. & Volberda, Henk W., 2011. "Offshoring strategy: Motives, functions, locations, and governance modes of small, medium-sized and large firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 314-323, June.
- Mottner, Sandra & Johnson, James P., 2000. "Motivations and risks in international licensing: a review and implications for licensing to transitional and emerging economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 171-188, July.
- Knight, Gary A. & Liesch, Peter W., 2002. "Information internalisation in internationalising the firm," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(12), pages 981-995, December.
- Boojihawon, Dev Kumar & Dimitratos, Pavlos & Young, Stephen, 2007. "Characteristics and influences of multinational subsidiary entrepreneurial culture: The case of the advertising sector," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 549-572, October.
- Hashai, Niron & Almor, Tamar, 2004. "Gradually internationalizing 'born global' firms: an oxymoron?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 465-483, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.