International Expansion of Telecommunication Carriers: The Influence of Market Structure, Network Characteristics, and Entry Imperfections
AbstractThis paper examines the internationalization process of telecommunication carriers. In this industry, early entrants gain substantial first-mover advantages due to the transient nature of the windows of market opportunity, and the potential to influence the regulatory process as an incumbent. To capture these strategic and economic advantages, firms follow a strategy of preemption, both of markets and partners. The authors argue for the need to augment prevailing theory with contextual idiosyncrasies that characterize specific industries.© 1999 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1999) 30, 361–381
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jakopin, Nejc M. & Klein, Andreas, 2012. "First-mover and incumbency advantages in mobile telecommunications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 362-370.
- Brock, David M. & Yaffe, Tal, 2008. "International diversification and performance: The mediating role of implementation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 600-615, October.
- Brock, David M. & Yaffe, Tal & Dembovsky, Mark, 2006. "International diversification and performance: A study of global law firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 473-489, December.
- repec:ieb:wpaper:2012/3/doc2012-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- García-Canal, Esteban & Sánchez-Lorda, Pablo, 2007. "One more only if it is one of us. The number of partners and the stock market reaction to domestic and international alliance formation in EU telecom firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 83-108, February.
- Curwen, Peter & Whalley, Jason, 2006. "Measuring internationalisation in the mobile telecommunications industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 660-681, December.
- Muck, Johannes & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2012. "First mover advantages in mobile telecommunications: Evidence from OECD countries," DICE Discussion Papers 71, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.