The Impact of Order and Mode of Market Entry on Profitability and Market Share
AbstractMarket share performance and profitability of overseas business activities has long been an important issue in international business. In this study, we explore the impact of order and mode of market entry into an overseas market. We find that early entrants have significantly higher market shares and profitability than late followers. We also find that equity joint ventures have a higher profitability than either wholly owned operations or contractual joint ventures. A significant interaction exists between order and mode of market entry. As expected, firm efficiency and size affect the performance of firms. These results are based on the business activities of a sample of 14,466 foreign firms in China in 1995.© 1999 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1999) 30, 81–103
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhou, Dongsheng & Li, Shaomin & Tse, David K., 2002. "The impact of FDI on the productivity of domestic firms: the case of China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 465-484, August.
- Huang, Yasheng & Di, Wenhua, 2004.
"A Tale of Two Provinces: The Institutional Environment and Foreign Ownership in China,"
4482-04, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Yasheng Huang & Wenhua Di, 2004. "A Tale of Two Provinces: The Institutional Environment and Foreign Ownership in China," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-667, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar (Raj) G. & Deligonul, Seyda & Dixit, Ashutosh & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2011. "International Market Reentry: A Review and Research Framework," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 377-393, August.
- Simon Lam & Joseph Yeung, 2010. "Staff localization and environmental uncertainty on firm performance in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 677-695, December.
- Lu, Jane W., 2003. "The evolving contributions in international strategic management research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 193-213.
- Xia, Jun & Li, Shaomin & Long, Cheryl, 2009. "The Transformation of Collectively Owned Enterprises and its Outcomes in China, 2001-05," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1651-1662, October.
- Canabal, Anne & White III, George O., 2008. "Entry mode research: Past and future," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 267-284, June.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2007. "Factors influencing perceptions of performance: The case of western FDI in an emerging market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 310-336, June.
- Quer, Diego & Claver, Enrique & Andreu, Rosario, 2007. "Foreign market entry mode in the hotel industry: The impact of country- and firm-specific factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 362-376, June.
- Fetscherin, Marc & Voss, Hinrich & Gugler, Philippe, 2010. "30 Years of foreign direct investment to China: An interdisciplinary literature review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 235-246, June.
- Claudio Giachetti, 2013. "Competitive Aggressiveness and Performance of Developed Country-Based Firms in the Chinese Emerging Economy: The Moderating Effect of Institutional Voids and Entry Mode Degree of Control," Working Papers 1, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
- García-Villaverde, Pedro M. & Ruiz-Ortega, María J. & Parra-Requena, Gloria, 2012. "Towards a comprehensive model of entry timing in the ICT industry: Direct and indirect effects," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 297-310.
- Gleason, Kimberly C. & Wiggenhorn, Joan, 2007. "Born globals, the choice of globalization strategy, and the market's perception of performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 322-335, September.
- Zulima Fernández & Belén Usero, 2007. "The erosion of pioneer advantage in the European mobile telecommunications industry," Service Business, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 195-210, September.
- Shieh, Bih-Lian & Wu, Tzong-Chen, 2012. "Equity-based entry modes of the Greater Chinese Economic Area's foreign direct investments in Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 508-517.
- Dimitratos, Pavlos & Lioukas, Spyros & Carter, Sara, 2004. "The relationship between entrepreneurship and international performance: the importance of domestic environment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-41, February.
- Tomassen, Sverre & Benito, Gabriel R.G., 2009. "The costs of governance in international companies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 292-304, June.
- Mohr, Alexander T., 2006. "A multiple constituency approach to IJV performance measurement," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 247-260, September.
- Elango, B. & Sambharya, Rakesh B., 2004. "The influence of industry structure on the entry mode choice of overseas entrants in manufacturing industries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 107-124.
- Xu, Dean & Pan, Yigang & Wu, Changqi & Yim, Bennett, 2006. "Performance of domestic and foreign-invested enterprises in China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 261-274, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.