Decision Specific Experience in Foreign Ownership and Establishment Strategies: Evidence from Japanese Firms
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the importance of decision specific experience for a multinational firm's foreign ownership structure and establishment mode decisions. A unique procedure to measure the decision specific experience construct is developed. Based on data for the period 1969–1991, we find strong empirical evidence from experiences of Japanese firms to support the hypotheses that firms tend to select ownership structures and establishment modes based on their experiences with similar ownership structures and establishment modes in the past.© 1999 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1999) 30, 25–41
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blomstermo, Anders & Eriksson, Kent & Lindstrand, Angelika & Sharma, D. Deo, 2004. "The perceived usefulness of network experiential knowledge in the internationalizing firm," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 355-373.
- Slangen, A.H.L., 2007. "Do Multinationals Really Prefer to Enter Culturally-Distant Countries Through Greenfields Rather than Through Acquisitions? The Role of Parent Experience and Subsidiary Autonomy," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-060-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Saliola, Federica & Zanfei, Antonello, 2009. "Multinational firms, global value chains and the organization of knowledge transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 369-381, March.
- Slangen, Arjen H.L. & van Tulder, Rob J.M., 2009. "Cultural distance, political risk, or governance quality? Towards a more accurate conceptualization and measurement of external uncertainty in foreign entry mode research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 276-291, June.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2009. "Equity-based entry modes of emerging country multinationals: Lessons from Turkey," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 445-462, October.
- Drogendijk, Rian & Slangen, Arjen, 2006. "Hofstede, Schwartz, or managerial perceptions? The effects of different cultural distance measures on establishment mode choices by multinational enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 361-380, August.
- Slangen, Arjen & Hennart, Jean-François, 2007. "Greenfield or acquisition entry: A review of the empirical foreign establishment mode literature," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 403-429, December.
- Asmussen, Christian G. & Benito, Gabriel R.G. & Petersen, Bent, 2009. "Organizing foreign market activities: From entry mode choice to configuration decisions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 145-155, April.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2005. "Characteristics of Japanese FDI in the East and the West: Understanding the strategic motives of Japanese investment," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 254-266, August.
- Rae Cho, Kang & Padmanabhan, Prasad, 2001. "The relative importance of old and new decision specific experience in foreign ownership strategies: an exploratory study," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 645-659, December.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Glaister, Keith W. & Tatoglu, Ekrem, 2007. "Institutional and transaction cost influences on MNEs' ownership strategies of their affiliates: Evidence from an emerging market," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 418-434, December.
- Youngok Kim & Sidney Gray, 2009. "An assessment of alternative empirical measures of cultural distance: Evidence from the Republic of Korea," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 55-74, March.
- Slangen, Arjen H.L., 2006. "National cultural distance and initial foreign acquisition performance: The moderating effect of integration," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 161-170, June.
- Li, Peng-Yu & Meyer, Klaus E., 2009. "Contextualizing experience effects in international business: A study of ownership strategies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 370-382, October.
- Castellani, Davide & Zanfei, Antonello, 2004. "Choosing international linkage strategies in the electronics industry: the role of multinational experience," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 447-475, April.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded, 2011. "Toward a perspective of cultural friction in international business," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Lu, Jane W., 2003. "The evolving contributions in international strategic management research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 193-213.
- Cho, Kang Rae & Padmanabhan, Prasad, 2005. "Revisiting the role of cultural distance in MNC's foreign ownership mode choice: the moderating effect of experience attributes," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 307-324, June.
- Clark, Timothy & Pugh, Derek S., 2001. "Foreign country priorities in the internationalization process: a measure and an exploratory test on British firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 285-303, June.
- Morschett, Dirk & Schramm-Klein, Hanna & Swoboda, Bernhard, 2010. "Decades of research on market entry modes: What do we really know about external antecedents of entry mode choice?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 60-77, March.
- Dikova, Desislava, 2009. "Performance of foreign subsidiaries: Does psychic distance matter?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-49, February.
- Qunyong Xie, 2013. "State ownership, firm size, and Chinese firms’ entry mode choices," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 319-319, March.
- Cowan, Adrian & Huang, Chia-Hsing & Padmanabhan, Prasad & Wang, Chi-Hui, 2013. "The determinants of foreign giving: An exploratory empirical investigation of US manufacturing firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 407-420.
- Francisco J. Más & Felipe Ruiz Moreno, 2003. "Spanish Company Foreign Market Entry," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.