Conflict Management Style: Accounting for Cross-National Differences
AbstractA problem in joint ventures between U.S. and Asian firms is that cultural differences impede the smooth resolution of conflicts between managers. In a survey of young managers in the U.S., China, Philippines, and India we find support for two hypotheses about cultural differences in conflict style and the cultural values that account for these differences: Chinese managers rely more on an avoiding style because of their relatively high value on conformity and tradition. U.S. managers rely more on a competing style because of their relatively high value on individual achievement.© 1998 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1998) 29, 729–747
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 29 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kwon, Yung-Chul, 2008. "Antecedents and consequences of international joint venture partnerships: A social exchange perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 559-573, October.
- Somnath Lahiri, 2011. "India-focused publications in leading international business journals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 427-447, June.
- Alfred Wong & Dean Tjosvold, 2006. "Collectivist values for learning in organizational relationships in China: the role of trust and vertical coordination," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 299-317, September.
- Fainshmidt, Stav & White, George O. & Cangioni, Carole, 2014. "Legal Distance, Cognitive Distance, and Conflict Resolution in International Business Intellectual Property Disputes," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 188-200.
- Morris, Michael W. & Fu, Ho-Ying, 2000. "How Does Culture Influence Conflict Resolution? A Dynamic Constructive Analysis," Research Papers 1649, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Robin Snell & Dean Tjosvold & Sofia Fang, 2006. "Resolving ethical conflicts at workthrough cooperative goals and constructive controversy in the People's Republic of China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 319-343, September.
- Nina Pološki Vokić & Sanja Sontor, 2009. "Conflict Management Styles in Croatian Enterprises – The Relationship between Individual Characteristics and Conflict Handling Styles," EFZG Working Papers Series 0905, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb.
- Tjemkes, Brian V. & Furrer, Olivier & Adolfs, Koen & Aydinlik, Arzu Ülgen, 2012. "Response strategies in an international strategic alliance experimental context: Cross-country differences," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 66-84.
- Lumineau, Fabrice & Henderson, James, 2012. "The influence of relational experience and contractual governance on the negotiation strategy in buyer-supplier disputes," MPRA Paper 38510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yeheskel, Orly & Zeira, Yoram & Shenkar, Oded & Newburry, William, 2001. "Parent company dissimilarity and equity international joint venture effectiveness," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 81-104.
- Ainuddin, R. Azimah & Beamish, Paul W. & Hulland, John S. & Rouse, Michael J., 2007. "Resource attributes and firm performance in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 47-60, March.
- Shaomin Li & Kiran Karande & Dongsheng Zhou, 2009. "The Effect of the Governance Environment on Marketing Channel Behaviors: The Diamond Industries in the U.S., China, and Hong Kong," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(3), pages 453-471, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.