Country Effects on Information Seeking in Global Electronic Networks
AbstractWe examine the existence of country effects on information seeking in response to market volatility, and explore the institutional factors underlying these effects. The empirical setting is the use of an electronic inter-bank network over twelve months by 3,266 banks located in twenty-five countries. We find significant differences across countries in banks' information-seeking behavior in response to market volatility, influenced both by differences in national industry arrangements and by national culture. However, national industry arrangements and national culture influence banks' information seeking in distinct ways.© 1997 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1997) 28, 77–100
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 28 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sofka, Wolfgang & Zimmermann, Jörg, 2008. "Regional economic stress as moderator of liability of foreignness," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 155-172, June.
- Wolfgang Sofka & Joerg Zimmermann, 2005.
"There is no Place Like Home: A Strategic Framework to Overcome Liability of Foreignness in the German Car Market,"
- Sofka, Wolfgang & Zimmermann, Jörg, 2005. "There's no Place Like Home: A Strategic Framework to Overcome Liability of Foreignness in the German Car Market," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-84, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Schmidt, Tobias & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2009. "Liability of foreignness as a barrier to knowledge spillovers: Lost in translation?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 460-474, December.
- Wolfgang Sofka & Joerg Zimmermann, 2007.
"Regional Dimensions of Liability of Foreignness: Between a Rock and a Hard Place?,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2007-023, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Wolfgang Sofka & JÃ¶rg Zimmermann, 2007. "Regional Dimensions of Liability of Foreignness: Between a Rock and a Hard Place?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-12, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2006.
"The pulse of liability of foreignness: dynamic legitimacy and experiences effects in the German car market,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-70, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Wolfgang Sofka, 2007. "The Pulse of Liability of Foreignness: Dynamic Legitimacy and Experience Effects in the German Car Market," CIE Discussion Papers 2007-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Schmidt, Tobias & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2009. "Knowledge sourcing: legitimacy deficits for MNC subsidiaries?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Supphellen, Magne & Haugland, Sven A. & Korneliussen, Tor, 2002. "SMBs in search of international strategic alliances: Perceived importance of personal information sources," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 785-795, September.
- Adrian Tschoegl, 1996. "Country and Firm Sources of International Competitiveness: The Case of the Foreign Exchange Market," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-19, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Dai, Ou & Liu, Xiaohui, 2009. "Returnee entrepreneurs and firm performance in Chinese high-technology industries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 373-386, August.
- Andrei Panibratov & Alexander Abramkov, 2012. "Joint Venture Strategy For Emerging Economy: Evidence From Russian Energy Sector," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 3(2).
- Angwin, Duncan, 2001. "Mergers and acquisitions across European borders: National perspectives on preacquisition due diligence and the use of professional advisers," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 32-57, April.
- Chakrabarty, Subrata, 2009. "The influence of national culture and institutional voids on family ownership of large firms: A country level empirical study," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 32-45, March.
- Voerman, J.A. & Wedel, M. & Zwart, P.S., 1998. "Export market information behaviour of SME's : the influence of firm characteristics," Research Report 98B27, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Nachum, Lilach, 2003. "Does nationality of ownership make any difference and, if so, under what circumstances?: Professional service MNEs in global competition," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.