Job Satisfaction in Joint Venture Hotels in China: An Organizational Justice Analysis
AbstractIn a survey of local employees of joint venture hotels in China, it was found that procedural and performance-based distributive justice was related to job satisfaction, but interactional justice was not. Comparison with other local employees was related to job satisfaction, but comparison with overseas employees was not. Senior managers reported a lower level of procedural and interactional justice, and senior managers and supervisors regarded their pay as less fair in comparison with local employees in state-owned hotels. Employees who worked with overseas Chinese and Japanese expatriates were less satisfied than those who worked with expatriates from the West, and this difference was explainable in terms of differences in perceived distributive justice.© 1996 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1996) 27, 947–962
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peng, Mike W. & Lu, Yuan & Shenkar, Oded & Wang, Denis Y. L., 2001. "Treasures in the China house: a review of management and organizational research on Greater China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 95-110, May.
- Luo, Yadong, 2009. "Are we on the same page?: Justice agreement in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 383-396, October.
- Selmer, Jan, 2002. "The Chinese connection? Adjustment of Western vs. overseas Chinese expatriate managers in China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 41-50, January.
- Jasso, Guillermina & Kotz, Samuel, 2007. "Two Types of Inequality: Inequality Between Persons and Inequality Between Subgroups," IZA Discussion Papers 2749, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hui, Michael K. & Au, Kevin, 2001. "Justice perceptions of complaint-handling: a cross-cultural comparison between PRC and Canadian customers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 161-173, May.
- Wenshu Gao & Russell Smyth, 2009.
"Job Satisfaction And Relative Income In Economic Transition: Status Or Signal? The Case Of Urban China,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
12-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- GAO, Wenshu & SMYTH, Russell, 2010. "Job satisfaction and relative income in economic transition: Status or signal?: The case of urban China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 442-455, September.
- Ariño, Africa & Ring, Peter S., 2004. "Role of justice theory in explaining alliance negotiations, The," IESE Research Papers D/534, IESE Business School.
- Baliga, B.R. & Santalainen, Timo J., 2006. "Transformation of state-owned enterprises in Estonia and India: An examination of the relative influences of cultural variations," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 140-157, June.
- Luo, Yadong, 2009. "From gain-sharing to gain-generation: The quest for distributive justice in international joint ventures," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 343-356, December.
- Leung, Kwok & Zhu, Yongxin & Ge, Cungen, 2009. "Compensation disparity between locals and expatriates: Moderating the effects of perceived injustice in foreign multinationals in China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 85-93, January.
- Gamble, Jos, 2006. "Introducing Western-style HRM practices to China: Shopfloor perceptions in a British multinational," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 328-343, December.
- Su, Steven K. & Morris, Michael W. & Leung, Kwok, 2000. "Justice in the Culturally Diverse Workplace: Problems of Over-Emphasis and Under-Emphasis of Cultural Differences," Research Papers 1658r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Victor Lau & Yin Wong, 2009. "Direct and Multiplicative Effects of Ethical Dispositions and Ethical Climates on Personal Justice Norms: A Virtue Ethics Perspective," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(2), pages 279-294, December.
- Au, Kevin Y. & Fukuda, John, 2002. "Boundary spanning behaviors of expatriates," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 285-296, January.
- Cohen-Charash, Yochi & Spector, Paul E., 2001. "The Role of Justice in Organizations: A Meta-Analysis," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 278-321, November.
- Jing Yang & Frank Tipton & Jiatao Li, 2011. "A review of foreign business management in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 627-659, September.
- Leung, Kwok & Wang, Zhongming & Hon, Alice H.Y., 2011. "Moderating effects on the compensation gap between locals and expatriates in China: A multi-level analysis," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 54-67, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.