Foreign Listing Location: A Study of MNCs and Stock Exchanges in Eight Countries
AbstractThis study aims to enhance our understanding of multiple listings by addressing the where question related to foreign listings. It examines factors that influence firms' choices of foreign stock exchanges. Based on a sample of 459 internationally traded MNCs, with at least one foreign listing on one of nine major stock exchanges (in eight countries) at year-end 1992, we find strong evidence that foreign listing locations are significantly influenced by 1) financial disclosure levels, and 2) the level of exports to a given foreign country.© 1995 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1995) 26, 319–341
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 26 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Banalieva, Elitsa R. & Robertson, Christopher J., 2010. "Performance, diversity, and multiplicity of foreign cross-listing portfolios," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 531-547, December.
- Abdallah, Wissam & Goergen, Marc, 2008. "Does corporate control determine the cross-listing location?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 183-199, June.
- Saloua Jouini, 2007. "Les facteurs déterminants et les caractéristiques de la stratégie des entreprises en matière de communication financière sur leur site Web," Post-Print halshs-00543232, HAL.
- William A. Reese, Jr. & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001.
"Protection of Minority Shareholder Interests, Cross-listings in the United States, and Subsequent Equity Offerings,"
NBER Working Papers
8164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reese, William Jr. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2002. "Protection of minority shareholder interests, cross-listings in the United States, and subsequent equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 65-104, October.
- Ding, Yuan & Nowak, Eric & Zhang, Hua, 2010. "Foreign vs. domestic listing: An entrepreneurial decision," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 175-191, March.
- Rahman, Asheq Razaur & Tay, Teck Meng & Ong, Beng Teck & Cai, Shiyun, 2007. "Quarterly reporting in a voluntary disclosure environment: Its benefits, drawbacks and determinants," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 416-442, December.
- Marcelo Bianconi & Liang Tan, 2009.
"Cross-listing Premium in the US and the UK Destination,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0737, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Bianconi, Marcelo & Tan, Liang, 2010. "Cross-listing premium in the US and the UK destination," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 244-259, April.
- Roosenboom, Peter & van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2009. "The market reaction to cross-listings: Does the destination market matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1898-1908, October.
- Prather-Kinsey, Jenice, 2006. "Developing countries converging with developed-country accounting standards: Evidence from South Africa and Mexico," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 141-162.
- Carol Adams & Pauline Weetman & Edward Jones & Sidney Gray, 1999. "Reducing the burden of US GAAP reconciliations by foreign companies listed in the United States: the key question of materiality," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 1-22.
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18434 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcelo Bianconi & Richard Chen, 2009. "Firm Value, Cross-Listing Premium and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0738, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Christian Leuz & Felix Oberholzer-Gee, 2003.
"Political Relationships, Global Financing and Corporate Transparency,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2003-03, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Christian Leuz & Felix Oberholzer-Gee, . "Political Relationships, Global Financing and Corporate Transparency," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 03-16, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- McConnell, John J. & Dybevik, Heidi J. & Haushalter, David & Lie, Erik, 1996. "A survey of evidence on domestic and international stock exchange listings with implications for markets and managers," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 347-376, December.
- Céline Michaïlesco, 1996. "L'internationalisation comme variable de la divulgation d'informations comptables," Post-Print halshs-00540573, HAL.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2012. "Corporate governance, agency problems and international cross-listings: A defense of the bonding hypothesis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 516-547.
- Cuijpers,Rick & Maijoor,Steven & Buijink,Willem, 2002. "Voluntary adoption of non-local GAAP in the European Union: a study of determinants," Research Memoranda 069, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Cabán-García, María T., 2009. "The impact of securities regulation on the earnings properties of European cross-listed firms," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 279-304, September.
- Leuz, Christian & Oberholzer-Gee, Felix, 2006. "Political relationships, global financing, and corporate transparency: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 411-439, August.
- Gauri Ghai & Maria De Boyrie & Shahid Hamid & Arun Prakash, 2001. "Estimation of global systematic risk for securities listed in multiple markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 117-130.
- Birkinshaw, Julian & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Holm, Ulf & Terjesen, Siri, 2006. "Why Do Some Multinational Corporations Relocate Their Headquarters Overseas?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 54, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Fulghieri, Paolo, 2006. "Competition and cooperation among exchanges: A theory of cross-listing and endogenous listing standards," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 455-489, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.