The Location of Export-Oriented Foreign Direct Investment in the Caribbean Basin
AbstractThis paper analyzes the location of export-oriented manufacturing investment. The analysis focuses on direct investment in the Caribbean Basin, using micro data for all reported manufacturing plant openings from 1984–87. We test a broad range of influences on country selection and compare the results with the existing literature on foreign direct investment in less-developed countries. The probability of country selection was estimated with a conditional logit model. The estimates were then used to predict the location of Caribbean Basin investments made in 1988 and 1989. Twelve independent variables were tested. Six variables had a statistically significant, positive relationship with plant location: per capita GNP, exchange rate devaluation, the length of income tax holidays, the size of free trade zones, political stability, and manufacturing concentration. Negative relationships were found for the wage rate, inflation rate, transportation cost, and profit repatriation restrictions.© 1993 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1993) 24, 121–144
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 24 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alaya MAROUANE (Université of Tunis) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008.
"The law of growth and attraction: an endogenous model of absorptive capacities, FDI and income for MENA countries,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2008-27, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Alaya MAROUANE (Université de Tunis) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2008. "The law of growth and attraction: an endogenous model of absorptive capacities, FDI and income for MENA countries," Cahiers du GRES 2008-21, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Ram Mudambi, 1999. "Multinational Investment Attraction: Principal-Agent Considerations," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 65-79.
- Kang Park, 2003. "Patterns and strategies of Foreign Direct Investment: the case of Japanese firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1739-1746.
- Marouane ALAYA (GREThA-GRES) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2007.
"FDI Promotion policies and dynamic of growth in the South East Mediterranean countries (In French),"
Cahiers du GRES
2007-13, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Marouane ALAYA (GREThA) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA), 2007. "FDI Promotion policies and dynamic of growth in the South East Mediterranean countries (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-06, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Lei, Han-Sheng & Chen, Yung-Shuan, 2011. "The right tree for the right bird: Location choice decision of Taiwanese firms' FDI in China and Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 338-352, June.
- Akinkugbe, Oluyele, 2003. "Flow of Foreign Direct Investment to Hitherto Neglected Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Nagesh Kumar, 1998. "Multinational enterprises, regional economic integration, and export-platform production in the host countries: An empirical analysis for the US and Japanese corporations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 450-483, September.
- Peter Buckley & Chen Meng, 2005. "The Strategy of foreign-invested manufacturing enterprises in China: Export-orientated and market-orientated FDI revisited," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 111-131.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Thomas, Douglas E. & Grosse, Robert, 2001. "Country-of-origin determinants of foreign direct investment in an emerging market: the case of Mexico," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 59-79.
- Andréa M. Maechler, 2000. "The Politics of Trade Liberalization in the Presence of FDI Incentives," Working Papers 00.09, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, 2009. "World Investment and Political Risk 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2688, March.
- Giner, Jose Miguel & Giner, Graciela, 2004. "An interpretative model of foreign direct investment in China: An economic policy approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 268-280.
- Flávio Vilela Vieira & Michele Polline Veríssimo, 2005. "Crescimento Econômico De Longo Prazo Na China: Uma Investigação Econométrica," Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 067, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2006. "Attracting Export-Oriented FDI:Can India Win the Race?," Working Papers id:382, eSocialSciences.
- Ahmad Seyf, 2001. "Can Globalisation and Global Localisation Explain Foreign Direct Investment? Japanese Firms in Europe," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 137-153.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab & Paul, Mahua, 2006. "Export-orientation of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates in India: Factors, Tendencies and Implications," MPRA Paper 12338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Milner, Chris & Reed, Geoff & Talerngsri, Pawin, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and vertical integration of production by Japanese multinationals in Thailand," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 805-821, December.
- Fang, Yulin & Wade, Michael & Delios, Andrew & Beamish, Paul W., 2013. "An exploration of multinational enterprise knowledge resources and foreign subsidiary performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 30-38.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.