Home Country Political Risk and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States
AbstractThis study investigates the proposition that home country political risk factors influence outward foreign direct investment. Investment data from the U.S. Department of Commerce is used to model investment activity in the United States from various industrialized source countries. Foreign direct investment is regressed on home country domestic and international economic and political risk measures for the Western industrial countries. Results indicate that investment activity from the ICs in the U.S. is dependent on home country economic and political conditions.© 1988 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1988) 19, 219–234
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 19 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011.
"The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India,"
KOF Working papers
11-283, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2013. "The Role of Country-of-Origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-Reform India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 88-109.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," Kiel Working Papers 1708, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "The Role of Country-of-origin Characteristics for Foreign Direct Investment and Technical Cooperation in Post-reform India," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 81, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Moshirian, Fariborz, 1997. "Foreign direct investment in insurance services in the United States," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 159-173, June.
- Thomas, Douglas E. & Grosse, Robert, 2001. "Country-of-origin determinants of foreign direct investment in an emerging market: the case of Mexico," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 59-79.
- Tolentino, Paz Estrella, 2008. "The determinants of the outward foreign direct investment of China and India: Whither the home country?," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 049, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Treviño, Len J. & Mixon, Franklin G., 2004. "Strategic factors affecting foreign direct investment decisions by multi-national enterprises in Latin America," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 233-243, August.
- Chao, Mike Chen-Ho & Kumar, Vikas, 2010. "The impact of institutional distance on the international diversity-performance relationship," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Qiangbing Chen & Yali Liu & Lu Jiang, 2010. "Culture distance and foreign equity ownership in international joint ventures: Evidence from China," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 189-203, December.
- Moon, Hwy-Chang & Roehl, Thomas W., 2001. "Unconventional foreign direct investment and the imbalance theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 197-215, April.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Konstantinos Skandalis, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and Trade Openness: The Case of Developing Economies," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 106(2), pages 323-331, April.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Gulamhussen, Mohamed Azzim, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment in Brazil and Home Country Risk," NIPE Working Papers 7/2006, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Richards, Malika & Yang, Yi, 2007. "Determinants of foreign ownership in international R&D joint ventures: Transaction costs and national culture," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 110-130, June.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Xiaming Liu & Haiyan Song & Yingqi Wei & Peter Romilly, 1997. "Country characteristics and foreign direct investment in China: A panel data analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 313-329, 06.
- Pan, Yigang, 2003. "The inflow of foreign direct investment to China: the impact of country-specific factors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 829-833, October.
- Esperanca, Jose Paulo & Gulamhussen, Mohamed Azzim, 2001. "(Re)Testing the 'follow the customer' hypothesis in multinational bank expansion," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 281-293, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.