Composition and CEO Duality in Boards of Directors: An International Perspective
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical assessment comparing board composition (proportion of outside/nonmanagement board members) and CEO duality (role of CEO and chairperson held simultaneously) between samples (n=150) of Japanese, United Kingdom, and United States industrial firms. Results indicate marked differences in these corporate governance dimensions. Implications regarding board independence, and differences in corporate governance internationally are discussed.© 1987 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1987) 18, 33–42
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 18 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hwang, Dar-Yeh & Wu, Wei-Hsiung, 2007. "Financial system reform in Taiwan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 21-41, February.
- Siti Subaryani Binti Zainol & M. Krishna Moorthy & Tengku Rahimah Binti Tengku Arifin, 2012. "Determinants of Non-Audit Services in Malaysia: A Theoretical Model," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(3), pages 97-111, July.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Jarrell, Gregg, 1997. "Leadership structure: Separating the CEO and Chairman of the Board," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 189-220, June.
- Nakano, Makoto & Nguyen, Pascal, 2012. "Board size and corporate risk-taking: Further evidence from Japan," MPRA Paper 38990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prevost, Andrew K. & Rao, Ramesh P. & Hossain, Mahmud, 2002. "Determinants of board composition in New Zealand: a simultaneous equations approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 373-397, November.
- Judge, William Q. & Naoumova, Irina & Koutzevol, Nadejda, 2003. "Corporate governance and firm performance in Russia: an empirical study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 385-396, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.