Multinational Production: Effect on Brand Value
AbstractDirect foreign investment in manufacturing abroad has a number of consequences for the firm. One aspect, particularly salient when the company's image is tied to its home country, is the impact of the DFI upon customer perceptions of the brand. The present study shows how changes in perceptions can be assessed prior to the investment decision, and how the brand value consequences of a particular location can be estimated. The proposed method is illustrated using data from a Japanese company's entry into the U.S.© 1986 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1986) 17, 101–126
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amine, Lyn Suzanne, 2008. "Country-of-origin, animosity and consumer response: Marketing implications of anti-Americanism and Francophobia," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 402-422, August.
- Lee, Jin Kyun & Lee, Byung-Kwan & Lee, Wei-Na, 2013. "Country-of-origin fit's effect on consumer product evaluation in cross-border strategic brand alliance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 354-363.
- Hamzaoui-Essoussi, Leila & Merunka, Dwight & Bartikowski, Boris, 2011. "Brand origin and country of manufacture influences on brand equity and the moderating role of brand typicality," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(9), pages 973-978, September.
- José Cadima Ribeiro & José de Freitas Santos, 2002. "Territory and regional products: an attempt to evaluate the effects of territory information on product price," NIPE Working Papers 5/2002, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Brodowsky, Glen H. & Tan, Justin & Meilich, Ofer, 2004. "Managing country-of-origin choices: competitive advantages and opportunities," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 729-748, December.
- Eric Rasmusen, 2007. "A Reputation Model of Quality in North-South Trade," Working Papers 2007-06, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Insch, Gary S. & McBride, J. Brad, 2004. "The impact of country-of-origin cues on consumer perceptions of product quality: A binational test of the decomposed country-of-origin construct," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 256-265, March.
- Wang, Cheng Lu & Li, Dongjin & Barnes, Bradley R. & Ahn, Jongseok, 2012. "Country image, product image and consumer purchase intention: Evidence from an emerging economy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1041-1051.
- Srinivasan, Narasimhan & Jain, Subhash C. & Sikand, Kiranjit, 2004. "An experimental study of two dimensions of country-of-origin (manufacturing country and branding country) using intrinsic and extrinsic cues," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-82, February.
- Moon, Hwy-Chang & Roehl, Thomas W., 2001. "Unconventional foreign direct investment and the imbalance theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 197-215, April.
- Chao, Paul, 1998. "Impact of Country-of-Origin Dimensions on Product Quality and Design Quality Perceptions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-6, May.
- Fisch, Jan Hendrik & Zschoche, Miriam, 2011. "Do firms benefit from multinationality through production shifting?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 143-149, June.
- Godey, Bruno & Pederzoli, Daniele & Aiello, Gaetano & Donvito, Raffaele & Chan, Priscilla & Oh, Hyunjoo & Singh, Rahul & Skorobogatykh, Irina I. & Tsuchiya, Junji & Weitz, Bart, 2012. "Brand and country-of-origin effect on consumers' decision to purchase luxury products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1461-1470.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.