The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets
AbstractThis paper develops a new public domestic debt database covering 93 low-income countries and emerging markets over 1975–2004 to estimate the growth impact of domestic debt. Moderate levels of noninflationary domestic debt, as a share of GDP and bank deposits, are found to exert a positive overall impact on economic growth. Granger-causality regressions suggest support for a variety of channels: improved monetary policy; broader financial market development; strengthened domestic institutions/accountability; and enhanced private savings and financial intermediation. There is some evidence that, above a ratio of 35 percent of bank deposits, domestic debt begins to undermine growth, lending credence to traditional crowding out and bank efficiency concerns. Importantly, the growth contribution of domestic debt is higher if it is marketable, bears positive real interest rates, and is held outside the banking system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 57 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bua, Giovanna & Pradelli, Juan & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2014.
"Domestic public debt in low-income countries : trends and structure,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank
6777, The World Bank.
- Giovanna Bua & Juan Pradelli & Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2013. "Domestic public debt in low-income countries: trends and structure," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences 85, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Aadil Nakhoda, 2013.
"Bank Competition and Export Diversification,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 2013/12, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Claeys, Peter & Moreno, Rosina & Suriñach, Jordi, 2012. "Debt, interest rates, and integration of financial markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 48-59.
- Essers, Dennis & Cassimon, Danny, 2012. "Washing away original sin: vulnerability to crisis and the role of local currency bonds in Sub-Saharan Africa," IOB Working Papers, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB) 2012.12, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Yibin Mu & Peter Phelps & Janet Gale Stotsky, 2013. "Bond Markets in Africa," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 13/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2010.
"Total public debt and growth in developing countries,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences
44, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Andrea F Presbitero, 2012. "Total Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 606-626, September.
- Andrea F. Presbitero, 2010. "Total Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries," Development Working Papers, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano 300, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Andrea F. Presbitero, 2012. "Domestic debt in Low-Income Countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1099-1112.
- Islam, Iyanatul & Ahmed, Ishraq & Roy, Rathin & Ramos, Raquel, 2012. "Macroeconomic policy advice and the Article IV consultations a development perspective," ILO Working Papers, International Labour Organization 478371, International Labour Organization.
- Avellaneda-Kantt, Maria Belen, 2012.
"Perspectiva Macroeconomica y Tendencias en el Mercado de Deuda Latinoamericano: ¿El viraje hacia instrumentos de Fondeo Domesticos?
[Macroeconomic Outlook and Trends in Latin American Debt Capital," MPRA Paper 44271, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Jan 2013.
- Mayowa Gabriel AJAO & Aigbedo Omorose OGIEMUDIA, 2013. "Foreign Debt Management and the Development of Nigeria Economy," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 3, pages 99-109, February.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "A Historical Public Debt Database," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 10/245, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.