The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets
AbstractThis paper develops a new public domestic debt database covering 93 low-income countries and emerging markets over 1975–2004 to estimate the growth impact of domestic debt. Moderate levels of noninflationary domestic debt, as a share of GDP and bank deposits, are found to exert a positive overall impact on economic growth. Granger-causality regressions suggest support for a variety of channels: improved monetary policy; broader financial market development; strengthened domestic institutions/accountability; and enhanced private savings and financial intermediation. There is some evidence that, above a ratio of 35 percent of bank deposits, domestic debt begins to undermine growth, lending credence to traditional crowding out and bank efficiency concerns. Importantly, the growth contribution of domestic debt is higher if it is marketable, bears positive real interest rates, and is held outside the banking system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 57 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- S. M. Ali Abbas & Jakob Christensen, 2007. "The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 07/127, International Monetary Fund.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hauner, 2006. "Fiscal Policy and Financial Development," IMF Working Papers 06/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Winston Moore & Chrystol Thomas, 2010.
"A meta-analysis of the relationship between debt and growth,"
International Journal of Development Issues,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(3), pages 214-225, July.
- Moore, Winston & Thomas, Chrystol, 2008. "A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Debt and Growth," MPRA Paper 21474, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tatom, John, 2007. "Is Tax Policy Retarding Growth in Morocco?," MPRA Paper 6011, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anastasia Guscina, 2008. "Impact of Macroeconomic, Political, and Institutional Factors on the Structure of Government Debt in Emerging Market Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/205, International Monetary Fund.
- Zhang, Yuewen, 2010. "Sovereign Risk Management in Recession: The Cases of Sweden and China," MPRA Paper 23364, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea F. Presbitero, 2010.
"Total Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries,"
Development Working Papers
300, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Andrea F Presbitero, 2012. "Total Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 606-626, September.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2010. "Total public debt and growth in developing countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 44, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Daniel, L., 2008. "Foreign investors’ participation in emerging market economies’ domestic bond markets," Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 12, pages 61-77, Summer.
- Giovanna Bua & Juan Pradelli & Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2013.
"Domestic public debt in low-income countries: trends and structure,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
85, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Bua, Giovanna & Pradelli, Juan & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2014. "Domestic public debt in low-income countries : trends and structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6777, The World Bank.
- Yibin Mu & Peter Phelps & Janet Gale Stotsky, 2013. "Bond Markets in Africa," IMF Working Papers 13/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Essers, Dennis & Cassimon, Danny, 2012. "Washing away original sin: vulnerability to crisis and the role of local currency bonds in Sub-Saharan Africa," IOB Working Papers 2012.12, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Mayowa Gabriel AJAO & Aigbedo Omorose OGIEMUDIA, 2013. "Foreign Debt Management and the Development of Nigeria Economy," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 3, pages 99-109, February.
- Nakhoda, Aadil, 2013.
"Bank competition and export diversification,"
50774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Avellaneda-Kantt, Maria Belen, 2012.
"Perspectiva Macroeconomica y Tendencias en el Mercado de Deuda Latinoamericano: ¿El viraje hacia instrumentos de Fondeo Domesticos?
[Macroeconomic Outlook and Trends in Latin American Debt Capital," MPRA Paper 44271, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Jan 2013.
- Ante Žigman & Boris Cota, 2011. "The impact of fiscal policy on government bond spreads in emerging markets," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 35(4), pages 385-412.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "A Historical Public Debt Database," IMF Working Papers 10/245, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrea F. Presbitero, 2012. "Domestic debt in Low-Income Countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1099-1112.
- Thumrongvit, Patara & Kim, Yoonbai & Pyun, Chong Soo, 2013. "Linking the missing market: The effect of bond markets on economic growth," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 529-541.
- Claeys, Peter & Moreno, Rosina & Suriñach, Jordi, 2012. "Debt, interest rates, and integration of financial markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 48-59.
- Ghirmai T Kefela, 2008. "Regulatory Challenges Strategically Enhance Banking Efficiency and stability: The study of East African countries," Indus Journal of Management & Social Science (IJMSS), Department of Business Administration, vol. 2(2), pages 129-147, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.