Global Dispersion of Current Accounts: Is the Universe Expanding?
AbstractThis paper examines the global distribution of current accounts. Using a panel of more than 100 countries, the analysis establishes a set of stylized facts regarding the collective behavior of current accounts over the past four decades. In particular, we find that the global dispersion of current accounts has been steadily rising, which is qualitatively consistent with the view that ongoing financial globalization has allowed countries to maintain larger current account imbalances. However, this underlying trend is not quantitatively large enough to explain “global imbalances”—that is, the noticeable widening in external imbalances among major economies (for example, United States) seen in recent years. IMF Staff Papers (2009) 56, 574–595. doi:10.1057/imfsp.2009.12
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 56 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yongsung Chang & Sun-Bin Kim & Jaewoo Lee, 2009.
"Accounting for Global Dispersion of Current Accounts,"
RCER Working Papers
548, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Yongsung Chang & Sun-Bin Kim & Jaewoo Lee, 2013. "Accounting for Global Dispersion of Current Accounts," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(3), pages 477-496, July.
- Yongsung Chang & Sun-Bin Kim & Jaewoo Lee, 2012. "Accounting for Global Dispersion of Current Accounts," Working papers 2012rwp-44, Yonsei University, Yonsei Economics Research Institute.
- Jaewoo Lee & Yongsung Chang & Sun-Bin Kim, 2009. "Accounting for Global Dispersion of Current Accounts," IMF Working Papers 09/276, International Monetary Fund.
- Kenc, Turalay & Dibooglu, Sel, 2010. "The 2007-2009 financial crisis, global imbalances and capital flows: Implications for reform," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-21, March.
- Irineu E. Carvalho Filho & Rudolfs Bems, 2009. "Exchange Rate Assessments: Methodologies for Oil Exporting Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/281, International Monetary Fund.
- Soyoung Kim & Jaewoo Lee, 2008. "International Macroeconomic Fluctuations: A New Open Economy Macroeconomics Interpretation," Working Papers 232008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- JÃ¶rg Decressin & Emil Stavrev, 2009. "Current Accounts in a Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 09/127, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.