Yen Carry Trade and the Subprime Crisis
AbstractYen carry trades have traditionally been viewed in narrow terms purely as a foreign exchange transaction. This paper argues that the carry trade should instead be viewed in the broader context of global credit conditions. We show that the volume of yen funding that is channeled for use outside Japan is mirrored by fluctuations in the size of U.S. broker-dealer balance sheets. Differences in short-term interest rates across currencies help to explain the incidence of the carry trade, as does the measure of implied equity risk given by the VIX index. The conjunction of deteriorating credit conditions in the United States and the weakness of the dollar against the yen in the early stages of the credit crisis of 2007–08 can thus be seen as two sides of the same coin. Both can be seen as consequences of financial sector deleveraging in the United States. IMF Staff Papers (2009) 56, 384–409. doi:10.1057/imfsp.2009.2; published online 24 March 2009
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 56 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniela Gabor, 2012. "Managing Capital Accounts in Emerging Markets: Lessons from the Global Financial Crisis," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(6), pages 714-731, June.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Nagayasu, Jun, 2013.
"Currency Forecast Errors at Times of Low Interest Rates: Evidence from Survey Data on the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2013-100, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Ronald MacDonald & Jun Nagayasu, 2013. "Currency forecast errors at times of low interest rates: evidence from survey data on the Yen/Dollar exchange rate," Working Papers 1321, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Sumila Tharanga Wanaguru, 2011. "Carry Trades and Financial Crisis: An Analytical Perspective," CAMA Working Papers 2011-33, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Fong, Wai Mun, 2010. "A stochastic dominance analysis of yen carry trades," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1237-1246, June.
- Jan Priewe, 2010. "What Went Wrong? Alternative interpretations of the global financial crisis," Competence Centre on Money, Trade, Finance and Development 1002, Hochschule fuer Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.