Exchange Rate Pass-Through in the Euro Area
AbstractExchange rate pass-through in a set of euro area prices along the pricing chain is examined in this paper. First, a vector autoregression (VAR) approach is used to analyze the joint time-series behavior of the euro exchange rate and a system of area-wide prices in response to an exchange rate shock. Second, the impulse response functions from the VAR estimates are used to identify-in a "new openeconomy macroeconomics model"-the key behavioral parameters that best replicate the pattern of exchange rate pass-through in the euro area. A key finding is that traded goods-both extra-area exports and imports-behave as though they are predominately priced in euros. The area-wide findings are compared with those for other major industrial economies. Copyright 2006, International Monetary Fund
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 53 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prasertnukul, Weera & Kim, Donghun & Kakinaka, Makoto, 2010.
"Exchange rates, price levels, and inflation targeting: Evidence from Asian countries,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 173-182, August.
- Weera Prasertnukul & Donghun Kim & Makoto Kakinaka, 2010. "Exchange Rates, Price Levels, and Inflation Targeting: Evidence from Asian Countries," Working Papers EMS_2010_03, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Séverine Menguy, 2009. "Heterogeneity in Inflation Persistence and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 52(2), pages 121-141.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine, 2013. "Exchange Rate and Consumer Prices in the Euro Area: A Cointegrated VAR Analysis," MPRA Paper 51162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Cook & Woon Gyu Choi, 2008. "New Keynesian Exchange Rate Pass-Through," IMF Working Papers 08/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Przystupa, Jan & Wróbel, Ewa, 2009. "Asymmetry of the exchange rate pass-through: An exercise on the Polish data," MPRA Paper 17660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jinbin Wang & Nan Li, 2010. "Exchange rate pass-through: The case of China," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 356-374, September.
- Xiaowen Jin, 2012. "An Empirical Study of Exchange Rate Pass-Through in China," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(2), pages 135-156, May.
- Beirne, John & Bijsterbosch, Martin, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-through in Central and Eastern European Member States," Working Paper Series 1120, European Central Bank.
- Aurora Ascione, 2007. "Non-Price Competition and Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/54, European University Institute.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Marques, Helena, 2012. "Pricing to market with trade liberalization: The role of market heterogeneity and product differentiation in India’s exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 310-336.
- Matthew Kofi Ocran, 2010. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case of South Africa," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(4), pages 291-306.
- Nidhaleddine Ben Cheikh & Waël Louhichi, 2013. "The Exchange Rate Pass-Through in a Cointegrated VAR Model," Working Papers halshs-00879270, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.