Trade Liberalization and Real Exchange Rate Movement
AbstractAlthough theory suggests that the real exchange rate should depreciate after a permanent trade liberalization but could appreciate temporarily with a transitory one, little empirical evidence exists. Unlike existing studies that use either indirect tests or openness measures that could be unreliable, this paper uses an event study based on individually documented trade liberalization in 45 countries. The result shows that real exchange rates depreciate after countries open their economies to trade. In countries with multiple liberalization episodes, however, real exchange rates do not depreciate at the start of trade liberalization in early episodes, suggesting that partial or transitory trade liberalizations deter adjustments toward the equilibrium exchange rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 51 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Zanardi, Maurizio, 2010.
"The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 760-777, August.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Maurizio Zanardi, 2010. "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136355, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke & ZANARDI, Maurizio, . "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2355, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lee, Chin & Law, Chee-Hong, 2013. "The Effects of Trade Openness on Malaysian Exchange Rate," MPRA Paper 45185, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- You, Kefei & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2012. "Structural breaks and the equilibrium real effective exchange rate of China: A NATREX approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1146-1163.
- Marcel SchrÃ¶der, 2013. "Should developing countries undervalue their currencies?," Departmental Working Papers 2013-12, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Pamela Coke Hamilton & Yvonne Tsikata & Emmanuel Pinto Moreira, 2009. "Accelerating Trade and Integration in the Caribbean : Policy Options for Sustained Growth, Job Creation, and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2652, March.
- Roberto Álvarez & Ricardo A. López, 2008.
"Trade Liberalization and Industry Dynamics: A Difference in Difference Approach,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
470, Central Bank of Chile.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo Lopez, 2008. "Trade Liberalization and Industry Dynamics: A Difference in Difference Approach," Caepr Working Papers 2008-009, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Taya Dumrongrittikul & Heather M. Anderson, 2013. "Do Policy-Related Shocks Affect Real Exchange Rates of Asian Developing Countries?," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/13, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai, 2009.
"A Multiple-Horizon Search for the Role of Trade and Financial Factors in Bilateral Real Exchange Rate Volatility,"
Journal of Economics and Management,
College of Business, Feng Chia University, Taiwan, vol. 5(2), pages 187-218, July.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai, 2009. "A Multiple-Horizon Search for the Role of Trade and Financial Factors in Bilateral Real Exchange Rate Volatility," Working Papers 212009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yi Wu & Li Zeng, 2008. "The Impact of Trade Liberalization on the Trade Balance in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/14, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.