The Yield Curve and Real Activity
AbstractThis paper attempts to formalize the link between the yield curve and real economic activity. A closed-form formula for the term structure of interest rates is derived. The paper then documents the use of bond market data for predicting GDP growth in the G-7 industrial countries. The results suggest that a simple measure of the slope of the yield curve, namely the yield spread, serves as a good predictor of future economic growth. The out-of-sample forecasting performance of the yield spread compares favorably with that of the alternative stock price--based model and a univariate time series (ARMA) model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 40 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kostas Tsatsaronis & Frank Smets, 1997.
"Why does the yield curve predict economic activity? Dissecting the evidence for Germany and the United States,"
BIS Working Papers
49, Bank for International Settlements.
- Smets, Frank & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 1997. "Why Does the Yield Curve Predict Economic Activity? Dissecting the Evidence for Germany and the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 1758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sauer, Christine & Scheide, Joachim, 1995. "Money, interest rate spreads, and economic activity," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1664, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Ólan T. Henry & Nilss Olekalns & Jonathan Thong, 2004.
"Do stock market returns predict changes to output? Evidence from a nonlinear panel data model,"
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 527-540, 09.
- Ólan T. Henry & Nilss Olekalns & Jonathan Thong, 2003. "Do Stock Market Returns Predict Changes to Output? Evidence from a Nonlinear Panel Data Model," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 868, The University of Melbourne.
- Nakaota, Hiroshi, 2005. "The term structure of interest rates in Japan: the predictability of economic activity," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 311-326, August.
- Abad, Pilar & Novales, Alfonso, 2005.
"An error correction factor model of term structure slopes in international swap markets,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 229-254, July.
- Pilar Abad & Alfonso Novales, 2002. "An Error Correction Factor Model of Term Structure Slopes in International Swaps Markets," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0222, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Hiroshi Nakaota & Yuichi Fukuta, 2013. "The Leading Indicator Property of the Term Spread and the Monetary Policy Factors in Japan," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 13-09-Rev, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1999.
"Predicting U.S. Recessions: Financial Variables as Leading Indicators,"
NBER Working Papers
5379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1998. "Predicting U.S. Recessions: Financial Variables As Leading Indicators," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 45-61, February.
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996. "Predicting U.S. recessions: financial variables as leading indicators," Research Paper 9609, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Khurshid Kiani, 2011. "Fluctuations in Economic and Activity and Stabilization Policies in the CIS," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 37(2), pages 193-220, February.
- Hafer, R. W. & Kutan, Ali M. & Su Zhou, 1997. "Linkage in EMS term structures: evidence from common trend and transitory components," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 595-607, August.
- Jardet, Caroline, 2004.
"Why did the term structure of interest rates lose its predictive power?,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 509-524, May.
- Caroline Jardet, 2002. "Why did the Term Structure of Interest Rates Lose its Predictive Power ?," Working Papers 2002-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Didier Janci & Eric Dubois, 1994. "Prévision du PIB par la courbe des taux : une constatation empirique en quête de théorie," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 112(1), pages 69-85.
- Moersch, Mathias, 1996. "Predicting output with a money market spread," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 185-199, May.
- McMillan, David G., 2009. "Forward interest rate premium and asymmetric adjustment: Evidence from 16 countries," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 258-273, April.
- Hyde, Stuart & Sherif, Mohamed, 2010. "Consumption asset pricing and the term structure," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 99-109, February.
- Langfeldt, Enno, 1994. "Die Zinsstruktur als Frühindikator für Konjunktur und Preisentwicklung in Deutschland," Kiel Working Papers 615, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Mili, Mehdi & Sahut, Jean-Michel & Teulon, Frédéric, 2012. "Non linear and asymmetric linkages between real growth in the Euro area and global financial market conditions: New evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 734-741.
- Peel, David A. & Taylor, Mark P., 1998. "The slope of the yield curve and real economic activity: tracing the transmission mechanism," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 353-360, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1996. "Forecasting turning points in Canada," MPRA Paper 13884, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Willem Naude, 1995. "Financial liberalisation and interest rate risk management in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1996-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.