The Effects of Macroeconomic Shocks in a Basic Equilibrium Framework
AbstractThe macroeconomic effects of random shocks to output, the terms of trade, and the real interest rate are examined using an intertemporal equilibrium model of a small open, endowment economy. Equilibrium stochastic processes are computed numerically and compared with actual stylized facts. The model rationalizes the Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect, but cannot produce countercyclical net exports and large real exchange rate fluctuations. The quantitative implications of the model are compared with the implications of the elasticities approach, and their sensitivity to changes in preference parameters and in the persistence of shocks is examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 39 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- N1 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hakan Berument & Magda Kandil & Nergiz Dincer, 2007.
"The Effects of Exchange Rate Fluctuations on Economic Activity in Turkey,"
Departmental Working Papers
0704, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Kandil, Magda & Berument, Hakan & Dincer, N. Nergiz, 2007. "The effects of exchange rate fluctuations on economic activity in Turkey," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 466-489, June.
- Rodrigo Suescún M., 1997. "Commodity booms,dutch disease,and real business cycles in a small open economy: The case of coffee in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002164, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hakan Berument & Nergiz Dinçer, 2005.
"Denomination Composition of Trade and Trade Balance : Evidence from Turkey,"
Departmental Working Papers
0510, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Hakan Berument & Nergiz Dincer, 2005. "Denomination composition of trade and trade balance: evidence from Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(10), pages 1177-1191.
- Tarlok Singh, 2007. "Intertemporal Optimizing Models Of Trade And Current Account Balance: A Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 25-64, 02.
- Ambler, Steve & Cardia, Emanuela, 1995.
"Les modèles réels de la transmission internationale du cycle économique,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 71(2), pages 193-217, juin.
- Steve Ambler & Emanuela Cardia, 1994. "Les modèles réels de la transmission internationale du cycle économique," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 32, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Benoît Carmichael & Sikoro Keita & Lucie Samson, 1999.
"Liquidity Contraints and Business Cycles in Developing Economies,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(2), pages 370-402, April.
- Carmichael, B. & Keita, S. & Samson, L., 1995. "Cycles economiques au Senegal: Une approche RBC," Papers 9506, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- CARMICHAEL, Benoît & KEITA, Sikoro & SAMSON, Lucie, 1995. "Cycles économiques au Sénégal: une approche RBC," Cahiers de recherche 9506, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Kalulumia, Pene & Nyankiye, Francine, 2000. "Labor Adjustment Costs, Macroeconomic Shocks and Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 671-694, October.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999.
"Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000. "Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2398, The World Bank.
- Magda Kandil, 2006. "On the transmission of exchange rate fluctuations to the macroeconomy: Contrasting evidence for developing and developed countries," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 101-127.
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2012.
"Political Economy: Success or Failure?,"
University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 6(3), September.
- Rodrigo Suescún M., . "Commodity Booms, Dutch Disease, and Real Business Cycles in a Small Economy: The Case of Coffe in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 073, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Kandil, Magda & Mirzaie, Aghdas, 2002. "Exchange rate fluctuations and disaggregated economic activity in the US: theory and evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Kandil, Magda & Mirzaie, Ida Aghdas, 2003. "The effects of dollar appreciation on sectoral labor market adjustments: Theory and evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 89-117.
- Otto, G., 2003. "Terms of trade shocks and the balance of trade: there is a Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 155-184, April.
- Huang, Kevin X.D. & Meng, Qinglai, 2007. "The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect under capital market imperfections," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1001-1015, October.
- George Furstenberg, 1998. "From Worldwide Capital Mobility to International Financial Integration: A Review Essay," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-84, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.