The External Debt Problem of Sub-Saharan Africa
AbstractThe massive external debt burden of sub-Saharan Africa has gained widespread attention as a serious policy issue during the past few years. This paper reviews recent trends in the debt levels and economic performance of sub-Saharan countries and assesses a number of proposals for reducing their external debt service obligations. There is also a discussion of the modalities of various debt relief proposals that have been advanced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 36 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:bep:maccon:v:5:y:2005:i:1:p:1133-1133 is not listed on IDEAS
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2011.
"Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2011-22, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011. "Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2011-22, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2012. "Optimal public investment, growth and consumption: evidence from African countries," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 16412, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Kwasi Fosu, Augustin & Getachew, Yoseph Yilma & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2011. "Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 051, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2012. "Optimal Public Investment, Growth, and Consumption: Evidence from African Countries," Working Papers 2012_03, Durham University Business School.
- Burnside, Craig & Fanizza, Domenico, 2001.
"Hiccups for HIPCs?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Marcel Fafchamps, .
"Sovereign Debt, Structural Adjustment and Conditionality,"
96015, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "Sovereign debt, structural adjustment, and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 313-335, August.
- Fosu, Augustin, 2010.
"The external debt-servicing constraint and public-expenditure composition in sub-Saharan Africa,"
39238, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2010. "The External Debt-Servicing Constraint and Public-Expenditure Composition in Sub-Saharan Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 22(3), pages 378-393.
- Irene Yackovlev & Victor Duarte Lledo & Lucie Gadenne, 2009. "Cyclical Patterns of Government Expenditures in Sub-Saharan Africa: Facts and Factors," IMF Working Papers 09/274, International Monetary Fund.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi, 2007. "Fiscal Allocation for Education in Sub-Saharan Africa: Implications of the External Debt Service Constraint," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 702-713, April.
- Easterly, William, 1999. "How did highly indebted poor countries become highly indebted? : reviewing two decades of debt relief," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2225, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William, 2002. "How Did Heavily Indebted Poor Countries Become Heavily Indebted? Reviewing Two Decades of Debt Relief," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 1677-1696, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.