Exchange Rates and the Term Structure of Interest Rates
AbstractIt is shown that the empirical performance of asset-market models of exchange rates for key currencies can be improved by including information about the term structure of interest rate differentials. The paper extends a portfolio-balance model by including both long- and short-term interest rates as determining variables. Estimation of the model indicates that real exchange rates for the United States, Japan, and the Federal Republic of Germany are affected both by nominal short-term interest differentials and by real long-term differentials.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 35 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sarantis, Nicholas, 2006. "On the short-term predictability of exchange rates: A BVAR time-varying parameters approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2257-2279, August.
- Masao Ogaki & Julio Santaella, 1999.
"The Exchange Rate and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Mexico,"
99-21, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Ogaki, Masao & Santaella, Julio A., 2000. "The exchange rate and the term structure of interest rates in Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 135-155, October.
- Drakos, Konstantinos, 2003. "The term structure of deviations from the interest parity," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-67, February.
- François Renard & Michel Boutillier & Camille Baulant, 1992. "Taux d'intérêt et comportements spéculatifs sur le marché du franc français," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 106(5), pages 97-108.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.