Exchange Rates and the Term Structure of Interest Rates
AbstractIt is shown that the empirical performance of asset-market models of exchange rates for key currencies can be improved by including information about the term structure of interest rate differentials. The paper extends a portfolio-balance model by including both long- and short-term interest rates as determining variables. Estimation of the model indicates that real exchange rates for the United States, Japan, and the Federal Republic of Germany are affected both by nominal short-term interest differentials and by real long-term differentials.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 35 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Drakos, Konstantinos, 2003. "The term structure of deviations from the interest parity," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-67, February.
- Ogaki, Masao & Santaella, Julio A., 2000.
"The exchange rate and the term structure of interest rates in Mexico,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 135-155, October.
- Masao Ogaki & Julio Santaella, 1999. "The Exchange Rate and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Mexico," Working Papers 99-21, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Sarantis, Nicholas, 2006. "On the short-term predictability of exchange rates: A BVAR time-varying parameters approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2257-2279, August.
- François Renard & Michel Boutillier & Camille Baulant, 1992. "Taux d'intérêt et comportements spéculatifs sur le marché du franc français," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 106(5), pages 97-108.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.