Frontier Efficiency Methodologies to Measure Performance in the Insurance Industry: Overview, Systematization, and Recent Developments
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to provide an overview on frontier efficiency measurement in the insurance industry, a topic of great interest in the academic literature during the last several years. We provide a comprehensive survey of 95 studies with a special emphasis on innovations and recent developments. We review different econometric and mathematical programming approaches to efficiency measurement in insurance and discuss the choice of input and output factors. Furthermore, we categorise the 95 studies into 10 different areas of application and discuss selected results. While there is a broad consensus with regard to the choice of methodology and input factors, our review reveals large differences in output measurement. Significant need for future research can be identified, for example, with regard to analysis of organisational forms, market structure and risk management, especially in the international context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Issues and Practice.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J.A. Bikker, 2012.
"Performance of the life insurance industry under pressure: efficiency, competition and consolidation,"
12-19, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Jacob Bikker, 2012. "Performance of the life insurance industry under pressure: efficiency, competition and consolidation," DNB Working Papers 357, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Norashikin Ismail & Prof. Dr. Datuk Syed Othman Alhabshi & Prof. Obiyathulla Bacha, 2011.
"Organizational Form And Efficiency: The Coexistence Of Family Takaful And Life Insurance In Malaysia,"
Journal of Global Business and Economics,
Global Research Agency, vol. 3(1), pages 122-137, July.
- Norashikin Ismail Author_Email: & Prof Dr Datuk Syed Othman Alhabshi & Prof Obiyathulla Bacha, 2011. "Organizational Form And Efficiency: The Coexistence Of Family Takaful And Life Insurance In Malaysia," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-306, Conference Master Resources.
- Gustavo Ferro & Carlos A. Romero, 2011. "Comparación de medidas de cambio de productividad. Las aproximaciones de Malmquist y Luenberger en una aplicación al mercado de seguros," Working Papers hal-00597946, HAL.
- Gaganis , Chrysovalantis & Hasan, Iftekhar & Pasiouras , Fotios, 2013.
"Efficiency and stock returns: Evidence from the insurance industry,"
Research Discussion Papers
14/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Chrysovalantis Gaganis & Iftekhar Hasan & Fotios Pasiouras, 2013. "Efficiency and stock returns: evidence from the insurance industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 429-442, December.
- Huang, Wei & Eling, Martin, 2013. "An efficiency comparison of the non-life insurance industry in the BRIC countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 577-591.
- Biener, Christian & Eling, Martin, 2012. "Organization and efficiency in the international insurance industry: A cross-frontier analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(2), pages 454-468.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.