Efficiency and Productivity of the Insurance Industry in the OECD Countries
AbstractThe purpose of the paper is to measure technical efficiency levels in 15 OECD insurance industries over the period 1983-1991 and to decompose productivity changes into technical progress and efficiency variations. We show that the growth in the productivity observed in all countries is essentially imputable to improvements in technical progress. We then try to see whether some structural national characteristics of insurance markets can partly explain the differentials in efficiency levels across countries. Reinsurance rates and market shares in OECD both seem to favor efficiency levels. The study is a step towards a comprehensive efficiency comparative study of the OECD insurance markets especially desirable in this period of increasing integration and deregulation of the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance.
Volume (Year): 22 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amel, Dean & Barnes, Colleen & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2004. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: A review of the international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2493-2519, October.
- Eling, Martin & Luhnen, Michael, 2010. "Efficiency in the international insurance industry: A cross-country comparison," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1497-1509, July.
- Carlos Pestana Barrosa & Milton Nektariosb & Nicolas Peypochc, 2009. "A Luenberger Index for the Greek Life Insurance Industry," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(4), pages 3-18.
- Maria Rosa Borges & Milton Nektarios & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008. "Analysing The Efficiency Of The Greek Life Insurance Industry," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 35-52.
- Dean Amel & Colleen Barnes & Fabio Panetta & Carmelo Salleo, 2002. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: a review of the international evidence," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-47, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dean Amel & Colleen Barnes & Fabio Panetta & Carmelo Salleo, 2002. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: a review of the international evidence," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 464, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.