The Relationship Between Health and Schooling
AbstractMany studies suggest that years of formal schooling completed is the most important correlate of good health. There is much less consensus as to whether this correlation reflects causality from more schooling to better health. The relationship may be traced in part to reverse causality and may also reflect “omitted third variables” that cause health and schooling to vary in the same direction. The past three and a half decades have witnessed the development of a large literature focusing on the issue just raised. I deal with that literature and what can be learned from it in this paper. Eastern Economic Journal (2008) 34, 281–292. doi:10.1057/eej.2008.13
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 34 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Naci H. Mocan & Colin Cannonier, 2012. "Empowering Women Through Education: Evidence from Sierra Leone," NBER Working Papers 18016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander S. Skorobogatov, 2012. "The value of human capital and health behavior," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1785-1796.
- Duha Tore Altindag & Colin Cannonier & Naci H. Mocan, 2010.
"The Impact of Education on Health Knowledge,"
NBER Working Papers
16422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nádia Simões & Nuno Crespo & Sandrina B. Moreira & Celeste A. Varum, 2013. "Measurement and Determinants of Health Poverty and Richness – Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Series 2, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL) 13-08, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Asadullah, M. Niaz & Chaudhury, Nazmul, 2011.
"Poisoning the mind: Arsenic contamination of drinking water wells and children's educational achievement in rural Bangladesh,"
Economics of Education Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 873-888, October.
- Asadullah, Niaz & Chaudhury, Nazmul, 2011. "Poisoning the Mind: Arsenic Contamination of Drinking Water Wells and Children's Educational Achievement in Rural Bangladesh," IZA Discussion Papers 5716, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Naci H. Mocan & Duha Tore Altindag, 2012.
"Education, Cognition, Health Knowledge, and Health Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
17949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naci Mocan & Duha T. Altindag, 2012. "Education, Cognition, Health Knowledge, and Health Behavior," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, Auburn University auwp2012-01, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Cesur, Resul & Mocan, Naci, 2014.
"Does Secular Education Impact Religiosity, Electoral Participation and the Propensity to Vote for Islamic Parties? Evidence from an Education Reform in a Muslim Country,"
IZA Discussion Papers
8017, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Resul Cesur & Naci H. Mocan, 2013. "Does Secular Education Impact Religiosity, Electoral Participation and the Propensity to Vote for Islamic Parties? Evidence from an Education Reform in a Muslim Country," NBER Working Papers 19769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naci Mocan & Duha Altindag, 2014. "Education, cognition, health knowledge, and health behavior," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 265-279, April.
- Eide, Eric R. & Showalter, Mark H., 2011. "Estimating the relation between health and education: What do we know and what do we need to know?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 778-791, October.
- Yakovlev, Pavel & Leguizamon, Susane, 2012. "Ignorance is not bliss: On the role of education in subjective well-being," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 806-815.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.