Demand and Supply of Skilled Labour and Overeducation in Europe: A Country-level Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyses the incidence of overeducation of university graduates. To this end, we estimate a random effects model for a panel of European countries. Our results do not confirm that the increase of the supply of qualified labour per se can be seen as a relevant factor fuelling overeducation. The relative wage of university graduates is inversely related to overeducation. This finding suggests a role for the demand for qualified labour. Cyclical conditions also matter, as overeducation operates as a short-term adjustment mechanism. This result sheds new light on the possible effects of the recession currently hitting the industrialized countries and on policy measures needed to foster economic recovery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 54 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Josef C Brada & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Comparing Labor Market Performance: Some Stylized Facts and Key Findings," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(2), pages 231-250, June.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2012.
"Overeducation at a glance. Determinants and wage effects of the educational mismatch, looking at the AlmaLaurea data,"
18_2012, CRISEI, University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Caroleo, Floro Ernesto & Pastore, Francesco, 2013. "Overeducation at a Glance: Determinants and Wage Effects of the Educational Mismatch, Looking at the AlmaLaurea Data," IZA Discussion Papers 7788, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alain Alcouffe & Jean-Michel Plassard, 2013. "Abondance d'éducation peut -elle nuire ? Une histoire des théories de économiques de la sur-éducation," Working Papers halshs-00827251, HAL.
- Emanuela Ghignoni & Alina Verashchagina, 2012. "Educational qualifications mismatch in Europe Is it demand or supply driven?," Working Papers 154, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.