Contract Farming in China: Perspectives of Farm Households and Agribusiness Firms
AbstractContract farming in China has grown rapidly over the past 10 years. This paper examines the evolution of contract farming, and explores the incentives to engage in contract farming, preferred contract forms and contract performance from the perspective of both Chinese farmers and contracting firms. Firm and household perceptions of contracting are assessed using data obtained from village- and firm-level surveys. Farmers identify price stability and market access as the key advantages to contracts, while firms consider improved product quality as the primary incentive to use contracts. Comparative Economic Studies (2007) 49, 285–312. doi:10.1057/palgrave.ces.8100202
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 49 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2010. "Study on Agrarian Contracts in Bulgaria," MPRA Paper 22946, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2010.
"Framework for Analysis of Agrarian Contracts,"
20264, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hrabrin BACHEV, 2010. "Framework For Analisis Of Agrarian Contracts," Management Research and Practice, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 2(1), pages 39-66, March.
- Jia, Xiangping & Hu, Yamei & Hendrikse, George & Huanga, Jikun, 2010. "Centralized versus individual: Governance of farmer professional cooperatives in China," IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition â Challenges for New Modes of Governance, LeibÂniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO) 52699, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Schipmann, Christin & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Supply chain differentiation, contract agriculture, and farmers’ marketing preferences: the case of sweet pepper in Thailand," Discussion Papers, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development 108349, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Lorenzo Casaburi & Michael Kremer & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2014. "Contract Farming and Agricultural Productivity in Western Kenya," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: African Successes: Sustainable Growth National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Waldron, Scott A. & Brown, Colin G. & Longworth, John W., 2009. "China’s Agricultural Modernisation Program: an assessment of its sustainability and impacts in the case of the high-value beef chain," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China, International Association of Agricultural Economists 50784, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Waldron, Scott & Brown, Colin & Longworth, John, 2010. "A critique of high-value supply chains as a means of modernising agriculture in China: The case of the beef industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 479-487, October.
- Guo, Hongdong & Jolly, Robert W., 2008. "Contractual arrangements and enforcement in transition agriculture: Theory and evidence from China," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 570-575, December.
- JIA, Xiangping & HUANG, Jikun & XU, Zhigang, 2012. "Marketing of farmer professional cooperatives in the wave of transformed agrofood market in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 665-674.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.