Efficiency of Banks in Croatia: A DEA Approach*
AbstractAn understanding of a bank's relative performance compared to the market over a period of time is important for analysts, practitioners and policymakers alike. In this paper we analyze bank efficiency in Croatia between 1995 and 2000 by using the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). We find that foreign-owned banks are on average most efficient; that new banks are more efficient than old; and that smaller banks are globally efficient, but large banks are efficient when we allow for variable- returns- to- scale. We also find strong equalization in terms of average efficiency in the Croatian banking market, both between peer groups and within peer groups of banks. Comparative Economic Studies (2002) 44, 169–193; doi:10.1057/ces.2002.13
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 44 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kyj, Larissa & Isik, Ihsan, 2008. "Bank x-efficiency in Ukraine: An analysis of service characteristics and ownership," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 369-393.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Sufian, Fadzlan, 2009. "Determinants of bank efficiency during unstable macroeconomic environment: Empirical evidence from Malaysia," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 54-77, January.
- Tai-Hsin Huang & Chung-Hua Shen & Kuan-Chen Chen & Shen-Ju Tseng, 2011. "Measuring technical and allocative efficiencies for banks in the transition countries using the Fourier flexible cost function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 143-157, April.
- Yong Tan & Christos Floros, 2012. "Stock market volatility and bank performance in China," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 211-228, August.
- Das, Abhiman & Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Financial deregulation and efficiency: An empirical analysis of Indian banks during the post reform period," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 193-221.
- Javier E. Pirateque & José H. Piñeros & Linda Mondragón, 2013. "Eficiencia de los establecimientos bancarios (EB): una aproximación mediante modelos DEA," Borradores de Economia 798, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Dil Bahadur Rahut & Ivan Velasquez Castellanos & Pravakar Sahoo, 2012. "Performance of Financial Institutions in Bhutan," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 19(1), pages 97-138, June.
- Andries, Alin Marius & Cocris, Vasile, 2010. "A Comparative Analysis of the Efficiency of Romanian Banks," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 54-75, December.
- Katerina Voycheska, 2011. "Empirical Research on the Banking Efficiency in R. Macedonia," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 73-93.
- Neeltje van Horen & Stijn Claessens, 2009.
"Being a Foreigner Among Domestic Banks: Asset or Liability?,"
IMF Working Papers
09/273, International Monetary Fund.
- Claessens, Stijn & van Horen, Neeltje, 2012. "Being a foreigner among domestic banks: Asset or liability?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1276-1290.
- Claessens, Stijn & van Horen, Neeltje, 2009. "Being a foreigner among domestic banks: Asset or liability?," MPRA Paper 13467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje van Horen, 2009. "Being a Foreigner among Domestic Banks: Asset or Liability?," DNB Working Papers 224, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- Miguel SARMIENTOÕ & Andrés CEPEDA & Hernando MUTIS & Juan F. PÉREZ, 2013. "Nueva Evidencia sobre la Eficiencia de la Banca," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 010705, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Staikouras, Christos & Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia, 2008. "Bank efficiency in the new European Union member states: Is there convergence?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1156-1172, December.
- Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar & Naaborg, Ilko, 2008. "Bank efficiency and foreign ownership: Do good institutions matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 834-844, May.
- Wahidudin, Ahmad Nazri, 2010. "Technical Efficiency of Commercial Banks in Malaysia: An Application of Window Data Envelopment Analysis," MPRA Paper 45136, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Staikouras, Christos & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia, 2008. "Cost efficiency of the banking industry in the South Eastern European region," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 483-497, December.
- Lin, Xiaochi & Zhang, Yi, 2009. "Bank ownership reform and bank performance in China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 20-29, January.
- Kiril Tochkov & Nikolay Nenovsk, 2010. "Institutional Reforms, EU Accession, and Bank Efficiency: Evidence from Bulgaria," Working Papers 201005, Texas Christian University, Department of Economics.
- Grigol, Modebadze, 2011. "Foreign Investment Effects on the Banking Sector in Georgia," MPRA Paper 32897, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.