Housing Policy in Developing Countries: Conjectures and Refutations
AbstractThis article discusses housing policy in developing economies. It examines recent research findings in light of earlier arguments as to the benefits of more market-oriented approaches. It also looks at whether the recommendations of earlier work have been refuted or developed in subsequent analyses and policy measures. In particular, it reviews the empirical analysis of the effects of policy on housing supply, the richer understanding of the effects that land market regulations have on housing affordability and the functioning of urban areas, and the alleged mysterious effects that researchers claim effective property rights have on housing policy and on development more generally. It also examines the effects of the increased emphasis on community participation, showing how it helps to more fully reconcile the incentives faced by beneficiaries of housing policy and donors. Finally, it examines recent literature on the welfare effects of rent control. The article shows that some of the conjectures as to the likely benefits of more market-based policy have been refuted, but large welfare gains for poor people can still be realized by adapting this approach. Furthermore, this approach appears to be gaining ground as the consensus approach to effective housing policy. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 20 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Collier & Anthony J. Venables, 2013.
"Housing and Urbanization in Africa: unleashing a formal market process,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2013-01, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Paul Collier & Tony Venables, 2013. "Housing and Urbanization in Africa: unleashing a formal market process," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2013-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Debuque-Gonzales, Margarita, 2013. "Empirical Determinants and Patterns of Research and Development Investment in Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 364, Asian Development Bank.
- Richard Arnott, 2008. "Housing policy in developing countries. The importance of the informal economy," Working Papers 200801, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Antonio Estache, 2010. "A survey of impact evaluations of infrastructure projects, programs and policies," Working Papers ECARES 2010_005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Takeuchi, Akie & Cropper, Maureen & Bento, Antonio, 2008.
"Measuring the welfare effects of slum improvement programs: The case of Mumbai,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 65-84, July.
- Takeuchi, Akie & Cropper, Maureen L. & Bento, Antonio M., 2007. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Slum Improvement Programs: The Case of Mumbai," Working Papers 127020, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Luciana Koprencka & Oltiana Muharremi, 2010. "Land Market In Albania: Unresolved Property Ownership Rights," Perspectives of Innovation in Economics and Business (PIEB), Prague Development Center, vol. 6(3), pages 41-44, October.
- (No last name available), Himanshu, 2013. "Poverty and Food Security in India," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 369, Asian Development Bank.
- Steve Pomeroy & Marc Godbout, 2011. "Development of the Rental Housing Market in Latin America and the Caribbean," IDB Publications 36518, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Doling, John & Vandenberg, Paul & Tolentino, Jade, 2013. "Housing and Housing Finance—A Review of the Links to Economic Development and Poverty Reduction," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 362, Asian Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.