Contingent Valuation and Actual Behavior: Predicting Connections to New Water Systems in the State of Kerala, India
AbstractIn 1988, families in Kerala State in India were surveyed to ascertain their willingness to pay for household connections to a piped water supply system. In 1991 the families in these communities were surveyed again and their actual decisions recorded. This article explores the validity of the findings of the 1988 study on the basis of actual behavior. It looks at the question of benefit revelation: did people behave as they said they would? And it looks at the question of benefit transfer:did people in one site behave as they were predicted to behave, on the basis of the predictions of a behavioral model for a different site? The data were also used to analyze the policy relevance of behavioral modeling. Coauthors are John Briscoe, Bhanwar Singh, Radhika Ramasubban, and Ramesh Bhatia. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Environmental and Natural Resource Economics > Environmental Economics > Valuation > Benefit transfer
- Beenstock, Michael & Goldin, Ephraim & Haitovsky, Yoel, 1998. "Response bias in a conjoint analysis of power outages," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 135-156, April.
- Casey, James F. & Kahn, James R. & Rivas, Alexandre, 2006. "Willingness to pay for improved water service in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 365-372, June.
- Klytchnikova, Irina & Lokshin, Michael, 2007. "Measuring welfare gains from better quality infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4217, The World Bank.
- Kamuanga, Mulumba & Swallow, Brent M. & Sigue, Hamade & Bauer, Burkhard, 2001. "Evaluating contingent and actual contributions to a local public good: Tsetse control in the Yale agro-pastoral zone, Burkina Faso," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 115-130, October.
- Gubanova, Tatiana & Adamowicz, Wiktor L. & McMillan, Melville, 2009.
"'Pocket and Pot': Hypothetical Bias in a No-Free-Riding Public Contribution Game,"
Staff Paper Series
91403, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Gubanova, Tatiana & Adamowicz, Wiktor L. & McMillan, Melville, 2009. "‘Pocket and Pot’: Hypothetical Bias in a No-Free-Riding Public Contribution Game," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49318, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Carson, Richard T. & Hanemann, W. Michael & Kopp, Raymond J. & Krosnick, Jon A. & Mitchell, Robert C. & Presser, Stanley & Ruud, Paul A. & Smith, V. Kerry, 1996.
"Was the NOAA Panel Correct about Contingent Valuation?,"
96-21, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Kopp, Raymond & Smith, V. Kerry & Mitchell, Robert & Presser, Stanley & Ruud, Paul & Hanemann, W. Michael & Krosnick, Jon & Conaway, Michael & Martin, Kerry & Carson, Richard, 1996. "Was the NOAA Panel Correct About Contingent Valuation?," Discussion Papers dp-96-20, Resources For the Future.
- Whittington, Dale & Pagiola, Stefano, 2011.
"Using contingent valuation in the design of payments for environmental services mechanisms: a review and assessment,"
32730, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dale Whittington & Stefano Pagiola, 2012. "Using Contingent Valuation in the Design of Payments for Environmental Services Mechanisms: A Review and Assessment," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 261-287, August.
- Joseph Cook & Marc Jeuland & Brian Maskery & Dale Whittington, 2012. "Giving Stated Preference Respondents “Time to Think”: Results From Four Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(4), pages 473-496, April.
- Salman, Amer Zahi & Al-Karablieh, Emad, 2004. "Measuring the willingness of farmers to pay for groundwater in the highland areas of Jordan," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 61-76, July.
- Davis, Jennifer, 2004. "Assessing Community Preferences for Development Projects: Are Willingness-to-Pay Studies Robust to Mode Effects?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 655-672, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.