Explaining the Relative Decline of Agriculture: A Supply-Side Analysis for Indonesia
AbstractThe relative decline of agriculture in growing economies is a central feature of economic development and a major influence on agricultural policies. The literature on the causes of this decline has focused on the relative price effects arising from demand factors, especially Engel's law, rather than on supply-side influences, such as changes in relative factor endowments and differential rates of technical change. This article develops a simple structural model of the transformation of the Indonesian economy, applying an error correction mechanism to capture the dynamics resulting from disequilibria and the costs of adjustment. The decline in agriculture's share of gross domestic product is found to be caused much less by the relative price effects typically emphasized in the literature than by capital accumulation and rapid technical change in agriculture. Copyright 1993 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 7 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2005.
"Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1301-1327, 09.
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2006. "Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6889, September.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2005. "Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2005-17, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2005. "Agricultural trade reform and the Doha development agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3607, The World Bank.
- Saenz, Mariana, 2010. "Structural Change in the Colombian Coffee Sector: 1975-2007," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61462, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Bach, Christian F. & Dimaranan, Betina & Martin, Will, 1996. "Growth, globalization, and gains from the Uruguay Round," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1614, The World Bank.
- Govindan, Kumaresan & Gopinath, Munisamy & Roe, Terry L., 1996. "Growth accounting, supply response and factor returns in general equilibrium: The case of Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-95.
- Salomón Kalmanovitz & Enrique López, 2003.
"Patrones de Desarrollo y Fuentes de Crecimiento de la Agricultura,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003315, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Salomón Kalmanovitz & Enrique López, . "Patrones de Desarrollo y Fuentes de Crecimiento de la Agricultura," Borradores de Economia 288, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Roehlano M. Briones, 2009.
"Agricultural Diversification and the Fruits and Vegetables Sub-Sector : Policy Issues and Development Constraints in the Philippines,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22951, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Briones, Roehlano M., 2009. "Agricultural Diversification and the Fruits and Vegetables Subsector: Policy Issues and Development Constraints in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2009-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2004.
"Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support under the World Trade Organization,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
04-bp43, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hart, Chad E. & Beghin, John C., 2006. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support Under the World Trade Organization," Staff General Research Papers 12510, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2004. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support under the World Trade Organization," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-bp43, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1998. "Agriculture and the macroeconomy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1967, The World Bank.
- Temple, Jonathan, 2001. "Growing into Trouble: Indonesia After 1966," CEPR Discussion Papers 2932, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2005.
"Distortions to world trade: impacts on agricultural markets and farm incomes,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3736, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2006. "Distortions to World Trade: Impacts on Agricultural Markets and Farm Incomes," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(2), pages 168-194.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng, 2008. "The Relative Decline of Agriculture in China," MPRA Paper 15057, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Darwin, Roy & Shoemaker, Robbin, 2001. "Resource use and technological progress in agriculture: a dynamic general equilibrium analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-291, August.
- Miria Pigato, 2009. "Strengthening China's and India's Trade and Investment Ties to the Middle East and North Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2626, September.
- Aboagye, Anthony Q. & Gunjal, Kisan, 2000. "An analysis of short-run response of export and domestic agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 41-53, June.
- Sun, Ling & Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Peterson, E. Wesley F., 1999. "Technology, Factor Endowment, Prices And The Relative Decline Of Agriculture In Taiwan," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21700, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Watson, Alistair S., 1996. "Principles of Grain Marketing: Some Lessons from Australian Experience," Technical Reports 113821, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.