Tracking Distortions in Agriculture: China and Its Accession to the World Trade Organization
AbstractThis article examines the impacts of China's accession to the World Trade Organization on prices in its agricultural sector. The analysis uses a new methodology to estimate nominal protection rates in China's agricultural sector before its accession to the WTO. These new measures account for differences in commodity quality within China and between China and world markets. The analysis shows that some of China's agricultural commodities are well above world market prices and others are well below. The article also assesses market integration and efficiency in China. It finds high degrees of integration between coastal and inland markets and between regional and village markets. The remarkable improvements in market performance in recent years mean that if increased imports or exports affect China's domestic price near the border, producers throughout most of China will feel the price shifts. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 18 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2002.
"Irrigation, Agricultural Performance And Poverty Reduction In China,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19605, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Lohmar, Bryan & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2006. "Irrigation, agricultural performance and poverty reduction in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 30-52, February.
- Fan, Linlin & Nogueira, Lia & Baylis, Katherine R., 2013. "Agricultural Market Reforms and Nutritional Transition in Rural China," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150203, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Heerink, Nico & Qu, Futian & Kuiper, Marijke & Shi, Xiaoping & Tan, Shuhao, 2007. "Policy reforms, rice production and sustainable land use in China: A macro-micro analysis," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 784-800, June.
- Li, Zhigang & Yu, Xiaohua & Zeng, Yinchu & Holst, Rainer, 2012.
"Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China: Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1003-1010.
- Zhigang Li & Xiaohua Yu & Yinchu Zeng & Rainer Holst, 2012. "Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China: Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 112, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Zhigang Li & Xiaohua Yu & Yinchu Zeng & Rainer Holst, 2012. ": Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China. Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," Working Papers 1209, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Xu, Zhigang & Li, Ninghui, 2005. "Impacts Of Trade Liberalization On Agriculture And Poverty In China," Agricultural Policy Papers 23681, Massey University, Centre for Applied Economics and Policy Studies.
- Khan, Shahbaz & Hanjra, Munir A. & Mu, Jianxin, 2009. "Water management and crop production for food security in China: A review," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 349-360, March.
- Huang, Jikun & Jun, Yang & Xu, Zhigang & Rozelle, Scott & Li, Ninghui, 2007. "Agricultural trade liberalization and poverty in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 244-265.
- Long, Cheryl & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2012. "Patterns of China's industrialization: Concentration, specialization, and clustering," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 593-612.
- Li, Zhigang & Yu, Xiaohua & Zeng, Yinchu, 2011. "Estimating the impact of transport efficiency on trade costs: Evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114384, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liu, Bo & Keyzer, Michiel & van den Boom, Bart & Zikhali, Precious, 2012. "How connected are Chinese farmers to retail markets? New evidence of price transmission," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 34-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.