Cross-Country Evidence on Public Sector Retrenchment
AbstractThis article reports the results from a survey of public sector employment retrenchment episodes across a wide variety of developing and transition economies. The information collected and analyzed is primarily from internal World Bank documents and in-depth interviews with World Bank staff having operational information about experiences in specific countries. Using the information collected on 41 retrenchment programs across 37 countries, the article analyzes the relationships between the factors leading to retrenchment, the scope and nature of retrenchment, and the methods used to accomplish the retrenchment. The discussion of methods includes an analysis of the mix of involuntary and voluntary employment reduction programs, the compensation schemes offered, and the extent of targeting of specific types of workers. Although relevant quantitative information is limited, the article also attempts to evaluate the outcome of the programs on several dimensions. The most striking findings relate to analysis of the factors leading a significant fraction of programs to rehire workers separated from the public sector (thereby defeating the programs' objective). In addition, the article relates program characteristics to calculated summary financial payback indicators and to the nature of the labor market adjustment. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- World Bank, 2002. "Pacific Islands - Regional Economic Report : Embarking on a Global Voyage - Trade Liberalization and Complementary Reforms in the Pacific," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15362, The World Bank.
- Dong, Xiao-yuan & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2009. "Labor restructuring in China: Toward a functioning labor market," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 287-305, June.
- Buffie, Edward F., 2009. "Public sector layoffs, severance pay, and inflation in the small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 987-1005, October.
- Taliercio, Robert Jr., 2004. "Administrative Reform as Credible Commitment: The Impact of Autonomy on Revenue Authority Performance in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 213-232, February.
- Alvaro Forteza & Martín Rama, 2000.
"Labor Market "Rigidity" and the Success of Economic Reforms Across more than One Hundred Countries,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0600, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Forteza, Alvaro & Rama, Martin, 2001. "Labor market"rigidity"and the success of economic reforms across more than one hundred countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2521, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "Guinea-Bissau - Public Expenditure Review Update : Enhancing Growth and Fiscal Adjustment Through Civil Service Reform," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7736, The World Bank.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003. "La privatización y la reestructuración de la fuerza laboral en todo el mundo," Research Department Publications 4330, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2014.
"Privatization and Labor Force Restructuring Around the World,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 535-591, November.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003. "Privatization and Labor Force Restructuring Around the World," Research Department Publications 4329, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Chong, Alberto & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 2002. "Privatization and labor force restructuring around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2884, The World Bank.
- Bales, Sarah & Rama, Martin, 2001. "Are public sector workers underpaid? - Appropriate comparators in a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2747, The World Bank.
- Djavad Salehi-Isfahani & Russell D. Murphy, 2006. "Labor market flexibility and investment in human capital," Working Papers e06-5, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Manoj Atolia, 2003. "Productivity-Enhancing Reforms, Private Capital Inflows, and Real Interest Rates in Africa," Working Papers wp2003_10_02, Department of Economics, Florida State University, revised Dec 2008.
- Atolia, Manoj, 2007.
"Trade liberalization and rising wage inequality in Latin America: Reconciliation with HOS theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 467-494, April.
- Manoj Atolia, 2002. "Trade Liberalization and Rising Wage Inequality in Latin America: Reconciliation with HOS Theory," Working Papers wp2002_03_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University, revised Feb 2006.
- Virgilio Galdo & Alberto Chong, 2006. "On Foreign Participation and Hiring Patterns After Privatization," Research Department Publications 4441, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- MacIsaac, Donna & Rama, Martin, 2001. "Mandatory severance pay : its coverage and effects in Peru," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2626, The World Bank.
- Alvaro Forteza & Martin Rama, 2006. "Labor Market 'Rigidity' and the Success of Economic Reforms Across More Than 100 Countries," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 75-105.
- Virgilio Galdo & Alberto Chong, 2006. "Sobre la participación extranjera y los patrones de contratación después de la privatización," Research Department Publications 4442, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rama,Martin G., 1997. "Efficient public sector downsizing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1840, The World Bank.
- Rama, Martin & Newman, Constance, 2002. "Downsizing and productivity gains in the public and private sectors of Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2770, The World Bank.
- Khan, Iram, 2006. "Public vs. private sector : an examination of neo-liberal ideology," MPRA Paper 13443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matusz, Steven J. & Tarr, David, 1999. "Adjusting to trade policy reform," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2142, The World Bank.
- Martin Rama, 2002. "Mondialisation, inégalités et politiques de l'emploi," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 16(1), pages 43-83.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.