The Effect of Tax Heterogeneity on Prices and Volume around the Ex-dividend Day: Evidence from the Milan Stock Exchange
AbstractTo investigate the effect of taxation on stock price and trading volume around the ex-dividend day, we use the Italian stock market, where dividends on two classes of stock are taxed differently. We find that the weighted average of investors' tax rates is reflected in the ex-day prices and the variance of the relative tax rate across investors is reflected in the volume of trades. We also show that higher transaction costs result in higher ex-dividend day excess returns and lower abnormal volume. This finding is consistent with "profit elimination" activity by institutions and corporations. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 8 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ali, Ashiq & Klasa, Sandy & Zhen Li, Oliver, 2008. "Institutional stakeholdings and better-informed traders at earnings announcements," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 47-61, September.
- Leonie Bell & Tim Jenkinson, 2002.
"New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1321-1346, 06.
- Tim Jenkinson & Leonie Bell, 2000. "New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor," Economics Series Working Papers 24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Leonie Bell & Tim Jenkinson, 2001. "New evidence of the impact of dividend taxation and on the identity of the marginal investor," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe14, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Bell, Leonie & Jenkinson, Tim, 2001. "New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor," CEPR Discussion Papers 2946, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bell, L. & Jenkinson, T., 2000. "New Evidence of the Impact of Dividend Taxation and on the Identity of the Marginal Investor," Economics Series Working Papers 9924, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Apostolos Dasilas, 2009. "The ex-dividend day stock price anomaly: evidence from the Greek stock market," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 59-91, March.
- Dai, Qinglei & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2007. "Investigation of the Costly-Arbitrage Model of Price Formation Around the Ex-Dividend Day," CEPR Discussion Papers 6074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarig, Oded & Tolkowsky, Efrat, 1997. "Dividend effects in Israel: a puzzle," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 169-174, February.
- Liljeblom, Eva & Loflund, Anders & Hedvall, Kaj, 2001. "Foreign and domestic investors and tax induced ex-dividend day trading," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1687-1716, September.
- Chen, Hung-Ling & Chow, Edward H. & Shiu, Cheng-Yi, 2013. "Ex-dividend prices and investor trades: Evidence from Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 39-65.
- Korkeamaki, Timo & Liljeblom, Eva & Pasternack, Daniel, 2010. "Tax reform and payout policy: Do shareholder clienteles or payout policy adjust?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 572-587, September.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt, 2007.
"Tax-Induced Trading and the Identity of the Marginal Investor: Evidence from Sweden,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 657-667.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov, 2005. "Tax-Induced Trading and the Identity of the Marginal Investor: Evidence from Sweden," HUI Working Papers 3, HUI Research.
- Juan Gabriel Brida & W. Adrian Risso, 2009. "Dynamic and Structure of the Italian stock market based on returns and volume trading," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2417-2423.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005.
"Patterns in Payout Policy and Payout Channel Choice of UK Firms in the 1990s,"
2005-002, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005. "Patterns in Payout Policy and Payout Channel Choice of UK Firms in the 1990s," Discussion Paper 2005-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Caprio, Lorenzo & Croci, Ettore, 2008. "The determinants of the voting premium in Italy: The evidence from 1974 to 2003," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2433-2443, November.
- Rantapuska, Elias, 2008. "Ex-dividend day trading: Who, how, and why?: Evidence from the Finnish market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 355-374, May.
- Milonas, Nikolaos T. & Travlos, Nickolaos G. & Xiao, Jason Zezhong & Tan, Cunkai, 2006. "The ex-dividend day stock price behavior in the Chinese stock market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 155-174, April.
- Florentsen, Bjarne & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2002. "Ex-Day Behavior When Investors and Professional Traders Assume Reverse Roles: The Case of Danish Lottery Bonds," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 152-175, April.
- Dai, Qinglei & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2009. "Investigation of the costly-arbitrage model of price formation around the ex-dividend day in Norway," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 582-596, September.
- Maria Borges, 2008. "The Ex-Dividend Day Stock Price Behavior: The Case of Portugal," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(1), pages 15-30, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.