On the Sensitivity of Mean-Variance-Efficient Portfolios to Changes in Asset Means: Some Analytical and Computational Results
AbstractThis paper investigates the sensitivity of mean-variance(MV)-efficient portfolios to changes in the means of individual assets. When only a budget constraint is imposed on the investment problem, the analytical results indicate that an MV-efficient portfolio's weights, mean, and variance can be extremely sensitive to changes in asset means. When nonnegativity constraints are also imposed on the problem, the computational results confirm that a positively weighted MV-efficient portfolio's weights are extremely sensitive to changes in asset means, but the portfolio's returns are not. A surprisingly small increase in the mean of just one asset drives half the securities from the portfolio. Yet the portfolio's expected return and standard deviation are virtually unchanged. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 4 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huo, Lijuan & Kim, Tae-Hwan & Kim, Yunmi, 2012. "Robust estimation of covariance and its application to portfolio optimization," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 121-134.
- DeMiguel, Victor & Martin-Utrera, Alberto & Nogales, Francisco J., 2013. "Size matters: Optimal calibration of shrinkage estimators for portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3018-3034.
- Deng, Xiao-Tie & Li, Zhong-Fei & Wang, Shou-Yang, 2005. "A minimax portfolio selection strategy with equilibrium," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 278-292, October.
- Kim, Jang Ho & Kim, Woo Chang & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2013. "Composition of robust equity portfolios," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 72-81.
- Marie Brière & Bastien Drut & Valérie Mignon & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2011.
"Is the Market Portfolio Efficient? A New Test to Revisit the Roll (1977) versus Levy and Roll (2010) Controversy,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2011-20, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Oosterlinck, Kim & Mignon, Valérie & Drut, Bastien & Brière, Marie, 2011. "Is the Market Portfolio Efficient? A New Test to Revisit the Roll (1977) versus Levy and Roll (2010) Controversy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9297, Paris Dauphine University.
- Brinkmann, Felix & Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf, 2013. "Forward-looking measures of higher-order dependencies with an application to portfolio selection," CFR Working Papers 13-08, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Zhang, Zhichao & Chau, Frankie & Xie, Li, 2012. "Strategic Asset Allocation for Central Bank’s Management of Foreign Reserves: A new approach," MPRA Paper 43654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kourtis, Apostolos & Dotsis, George & Markellos, Raphael N., 2012. "Parameter uncertainty in portfolio selection: Shrinking the inverse covariance matrix," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2522-2531.
- Loriana Pelizzon & Massimiliano Caporin, 2012. "Market volatility, optimal portfolios and naive asset allocations," Working Papers 2012_08, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Mishra, Anil, 2013. "Measures of Equity Home Bias Puzzle," MPRA Paper 51223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Behr, Patrick & Guettler, Andre & Truebenbach, Fabian, 2012. "Using industry momentum to improve portfolio performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1414-1423.
- Bengtsson, Christoffer, 2003. "The Impact of Estimation Error on Portfolio Selection for Investors with Constant Relative Risk Aversion," Working Papers 2003:17, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 29 Apr 2004.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Uppal, Raman & Wang, Tan, 2005.
"Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lorenzo Garlappi & Raman Uppal & Tan Wang, 2007. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 41-81, January.
- Garlappi, Lorenzo & Uppal, Raman & Wang, Tan, 2005. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raman Uppal & Lorenzo Garlappi & Tan Wang, 2004. "Portfolio Selection with Parameter and Model Uncertainty: A Multi-Prior Approach," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 54, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Wolff, Dominik & Bessler, Wolfgang & Opfer, Heiko, 2012. "Multi-Asset Portfolio Optimization and Out-of-Sample Performance: An Evaluation of Black-Litterman, Mean Variance and Naïve Diversification Approaches," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62020, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Al Janabi, Mazin A.M., 2012. "Optimal commodity asset allocation with a coherent market risk modeling," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 131-140.
- Brinkmann, Felix & Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf, 2014. "Forward-looking measures of higher-order dependencies with an application to portfolio selection," CFR Working Papers 13-08 [rev.], University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Nigel Meade & Gerry Salkin, 2000. "The selection of multinational equity portfolios: forecasting models and estimation risk," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 259-279.
- Dominik Wied & Daniel Ziggel & Tobias Berens, 2013. "On the application of new tests for structural changes on global minimum-variance portfolios," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(4), pages 955-975, November.
- Gerald P. Dwyer, Jr. & R.W. Hafer, 2001. "Bank failures in banking panics: Risky banks or road kill?," Working Paper 2001-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf & Saßning, Sven, 2014. "Portfolio optimization using forward-looking information," CFR Working Papers 11-10 [rev.], University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.