New Evidence on Measuring Financial Constraints: Moving Beyond the KZ Index
AbstractWe collect detailed qualitative information from financial filings to categorize financial constraints for a random sample of firms from 1995 to 2004. Using this categorization, we estimate ordered logit models predicting constraints as a function of different quantitative factors. Our findings cast serious doubt on the validity of the KZ index as a measure of financial constraints, while offering mixed evidence on the validity of other common measures of constraints. We find that firm size and age are particularly useful predictors of financial constraint levels, and we propose a measure of financial constraints that is based solely on these firm characteristics. The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dewaelheyns, Nico & Locorotondo, Rosy & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2011. "Cash holdings within subsidiaries: impact of group health," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/388047, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Senay Agca & Deniz Igan, 2013. "Fiscal Consolidation and the Cost of Credit: Evidence from Syndicated Loans," IMF Working Papers 13/36, International Monetary Fund.
- Li, Dongmei & Zhang, Lu, 2010. "Does q-theory with investment frictions explain anomalies in the cross section of returns?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 297-314, November.
- Carlos Carreira & Filipe Silva, 2012. "Where Are the Fragilities? The Relationship Between Firms' Financial Constraints, Size, and Age," GEMF Working Papers 2012-12, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Dewaelheyns, Nico & Locorotondo, Rosy & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2010. "Cash holdings within subsidiaries: impact of group health," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/387990, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Chongyang Chen & Zhonglan Dai & Douglas A. Shackelford & Harold H. Zhang, 2012. "Does Financial Constraint Affect Shareholder Taxes and the Cost of Equity Capital?," Working Papers 1202, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012.
"Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide,"
Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 36, pages 23-46, December.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide," GEMF Working Papers 2012-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Lam, F.Y. Eric C. & Wei, K.C. John, 2011. "Limits-to-arbitrage, investment frictions, and the asset growth anomaly," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 127-149, October.
- Maksimovic, Vojislav & Phillips, Gordon & Prabhala, N.R., 2011.
"Post-merger restructuring and the boundaries of the firm,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 317-343.
- Vojislav Maksimovic & Gordon Phillips & Nagpurnanand Prabhala, 2011. "Post-Merger Restructuring and the Boundaries of the Firm," Working Papers 11-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Vojislav Maksimovic & Gordon Phillips & N. R. Prabhala, 2008. "Post-Merger Restructuring and the Boundaries of the Firm," NBER Working Papers 14291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chongyang Chen & Zhonglan Dai & Douglas Shackelford & Harold Zhang, 2011. "Does Financial Constraint Affect Shareholder Taxes and the Cost of Equity Capital?," NBER Working Papers 17169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.