Event Study Testing with Cross-sectional Correlation of Abnormal Returns
AbstractThis article examines the issue of cross-sectional correlation in event studies. When there is event-date clustering, we find that even relatively low cross-correlation among abnormal returns is serious in terms of over-rejecting the null hypothesis of zero average abnormal returns. We propose a new test statistic that modifies the t-statistic of Boehmer, Musumeci, and Poulsen (1991) to take into account cross-correlation and show that it performs well in competition with others, including the portfolio approach, which is less powerful than other alternatives under study. Also, our statistic is readily useable to test multiple-day cumulative abnormal returns. The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Estelle P. Dauchy & Sebastien Bradley & Makoto Hasegawa, 2013.
"Investor Valuations of Japan's Adoption of a Territorial Tax Regime: Quantifying the Direct and Competitive Effects of International Tax Reform,"
w0201, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Bradley, Sebastien & Dauchy, Estelle & Hasegawa, Makoto, 2013. "Investor Valuations of Japan's Adoption of a Territorial Tax Regime: Quantifying the Direct and Competitive Effects of International Tax Reform," Department of Economics Working Paper Series 2013-2, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University.
- Fratianni, Michele & Marchionne, Francesco, 2013.
"The fading stock market response to announcements of bank bailouts,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 69-89.
- Michele Fratianni & Francesco Marchionne, 2013. "The fading stock market response to announcements of bank bailouts," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 76, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Matteo Pelagatti, 2013. "Nonparametric tests for event studies under cross-sectional dependence," Working Papers 244, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2013.
- Uhde, Andre & Farruggio, Christian & Michalak, Tobias C., 2013. "The light and dark side of TARP," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80004, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Peter S. Schmidt & Therese Werner, 2012. "Channeling the final Say in Politics," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 12/165, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Elyas Elyasiani & Loretta J. Mester & Michael S. Pagano, 2011.
"Large capital infusions, investor reactions, and the return and risk performance of financial institutions over the business cycle and recent finanical crisis,"
11-46, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Elyas Elyasiani & Loretta J. Mester & Michael S. Pagano, 2013. "Large capital infusions, investor reactions, and the return and risk performance of financial institutions over the business cycle and recent finanical crisis," Working Papers 13-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Lehmann, Sibylle H. & Hauber, Philipp & Opitz, Alexander, 2012. "Political rights, taxation, and firm valuation: Evidence from Saxony around 1900," FZID Discussion Papers 59-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Berg, Florian & Le Pen, Yannick, 2013. "Do corporate bond and credit default swap markets value environmental, social or corporate governance events?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11380, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bosma, Jakob & Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2012. "Credit risk connectivity in the financial industry and stabilization effects of government bailouts," Discussion Papers 16/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Farruggio, Christian & Michalak, Tobias C. & Uhde, Andre, 2013. "The light and dark side of TARP," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2586-2604.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.