Risk and Return Characteristics of Venture Capital-Backed Entrepreneurial Companies
AbstractValuations of entrepreneurial companies are only observed occasionally, albeit more frequently for well-performing companies. Consequently, estimators of risk and return must correct for sample selection to obtain consistent estimates. We develop a general model of dynamic sample selection and estimate it using data from venture capital investments in entrepreneurial companies. Our selection correction leads to markedly lower intercepts and higher estimates of risks compared to previous studies. The methodology is generally applicable to estimating risk and return in illiquid markets with endogenous trading. The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arthur Korteweg & Roman Kräussl & Patrick Verwijmeren, . "Does it pay to invest in Art? A Selection-corrected Returns Perspective," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-152/IV/61, Tinbergen Institute.
- McKenzie, Michael & Satchell, Stephen & Wongwachara, Warapong, 2012. "Nonlinearity and smoothing in venture capital performance data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 782-795.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011.
"A Survey of Venture Capital Research,"
2011-044, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-111, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2011. "A survey of venture capital research," NBER Working Papers 17523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Korteweg, Arthur & Kräussl, Roman & Verwijmeren, Patrick, 2013.
"Does it pay to invest in art? A selection-corrected returns perspective,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2013/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Roman Kraussl & Arthur Korteweg & Patrick Verwijmeren, 2013. "Does it Pay to Invest in Art? A Selection-corrected Returns Perspective," LSF Research Working Paper Series 13-7, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.