Credit Line Usage, Checking Account Activity, and Default Risk of Bank Borrowers
AbstractInformation on borrower quality is a fundamental issue in debt contracting, corporate and consumer finance, and financial intermediation. We investigate the link between account activity and information production on borrower risk. Based on a unique data set, we find that credit line usage, limit violations, and cash inflows exhibit abnormal patterns approximately 12 months before default events. Measures of account activity substantially improve default predictions and are especially helpful for monitoring small businesses and individuals. Furthermore, early warning indications result in higher loan spreads, and in a higher likelihood of limit reductions and complete write-offs. Our study shows that account activity provides a real-time window into the borrower's cash flows, thus explaining why banks have an advantage in providing certain types of debt financing. The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cerqueiro, Geraldo & Degryse, Hans & Ongena, Steven, 2007.
"Rules versus Discretion in Loan Rate Setting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6450, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cerqueiro, G.M. & Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2007. "Rules versus Discretion in Loan Rate Setting," Discussion Paper 2007-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Geraldo Cerqueiro & Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2007. "Rules versus Discretion in Loan Rate Setting," CESifo Working Paper Series 2091, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cerqueiro, G.M. & Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2007. "Rules versus Discretion in Loan Rate Setting," Discussion Paper 2007-026, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Geraldo CERQUEIRO & Hans DEGRYSE & Steven ONGENA, 2007. "Rules versus discretion in loan rate setting," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0723, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Dierkes, Maik & Erner, Carsten & Langer, Thomas & Norden, Lars, 2013. "Business credit information sharing and default risk of private firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2867-2878.
- Pagès, Henri, 2013.
"Bank monitoring incentives and optimal ABS,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 30-54.
- Degryse, Hans & Ioannidou, Vasso & von Schedvin, Erik, 2012.
"On the Non-Exclusivity of Loan Contracts: An Empirical Investigation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Degryse, Hans & Ioannidou , Vasso & von Schedvin, Erik, 2012. "On the Non-Exclusivity of Loan Contracts: An Empirical Investigation," Working Paper Series 258, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Degryse, H.A. & Ioannidou, V. & Schedvin, E.L. von, 2011. "On the Non-Exclusivity of Loan Contracts: An Empirical Investigation," Discussion Paper 2011-130, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Tim R. Adam & Daniel Streitz, 2013. "Bank Lending Relationships and the Use of Performance-Sensitive Debt," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-027, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Cerqueiro, G.M. & Ongena, S. & Roszbach, K., 2011.
"Collateralization, Bank Loan Rates and Monitoring: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
2011-087, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cerqueiro, Geraldo & Ongena, Steven & Roszbach, Kasper, 2012. "Collateralization, Bank Loan Rates and Monitoring: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Paper Series 257, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Steven Ongena & Kasper Roszbach & Geraldo Cerqueiro, 2012. "Collateralization, Bank Loan Rates and Monitoring: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," 2012 Meeting Papers 235, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Yesin, Pinar, 2011. "Foreign currency borrowing by small firms in the transition economies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 285-302, July.
- Memmel, Christoph & Gündüz, Yalin & Raupach, Peter, 2012. "The common drivers of default risk," Discussion Papers 36/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis & Tsoumas, Chris, 2013. "Enforcement actions and bank behavior," MPRA Paper 43557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michalski, Tomasz & Ors, Evren, 2012.
"(Interstate) Banking and (interstate) trade: Does real integration follow financial integration?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 89-117.
- Michalski, Tomasz & Örs, Evren, 2010. "(Inter-state) Banking and (Inter-state) Trade: Does Real Integration Follow Financial Integration?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berger, Allen N. & Cerqueiro, Geraldo & Penas, María F., 2011. "Does debtor protection really protect debtors? Evidence from the small business credit market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1843-1857, July.
- Ruprecht, Benedikt & Entrop, Oliver & Kick, Thomas & Wilkens, Marco, 2013. "Market Timing, Maturity Mismatch, and Risk Management: Evidence from the Banking Industry," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79733, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Vigneron, Ludovic & Hajj Chehade, Hiba, 2013.
"Structuration du pool bancaire de la PME : une revue de la littérature
[Structuring SMEs' banks relationships: a review]," MPRA Paper 50498, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.