Institutional Portfolio Flows and International Investments
AbstractUsing a new technique, and weekly data for 25 countries from 1994 to 1998, we analyze the relationship between institutional cross-border portfolio flows, and domestic and foreign equity returns. In emerging markets, institutional flows forecast statistically indistinguishable movements in country closed-end fund NAV returns and price returns. In contrast, closed-end fund flows forecast price returns, but not NAV returns. Furthermore, institutional flows display trend-following (trend-reversing) behavior in response to symmetric (asymmetric) movements in NAV and price returns. The results suggest that institutional cross-border flows are linked to fundamentals, while closed-end fund flows are a source of price pressure in the short run. The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 21 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- De Ridder, Adri & Burnie, David A. & Råsbrant, Jonas, 2012. "Institutional investors' holdings surrounding equity rights offerings," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 125-140.
- Seasholes, Mark S. & Liu, Clark, 2011. "Trading imbalances and the law of one price," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 132-134, July.
- Albuquerque, Rui & Ramadorai, Tarun & Watugala, Sumudu, 2011. "Trade Credit and International Return Comovement," CEPR Discussion Papers 8222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albuquerque, Rui & H. Bauer, Gregory & Schneider, Martin, 2009.
"Global private information in international equity markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 18-46, October.
- Albuquerque, Rui & Bauer, Gregor H & Schneider, Martin, 2006. "Global Private Information in International Equity Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5819, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campbell, John Y. & Ramadorai, Tarun & Schwartz, Allie, 2009.
"Caught on tape: Institutional trading, stock returns, and earnings announcements,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 66-91, April.
- Campbell, John & Schwartz, Allie & Ramadorai, Tarun, 2009. "Caught on Tape: Institutional Trading, Stock Returns, and Earnings Announcements," Scholarly Articles 2609649, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, John Y & Ramadorai, Tarun & Schwartz, Allie, 2007. "Caught On Tape: Institutional Trading, Stock Returns, and Earnings Announcements," CEPR Discussion Papers 6390, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tsai, Pei-Jung, 2010. "Country funds and the role of international equity flows in pricing and in premiums and discounts," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 43-70.
- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2013.
"The Investment Technology of Foreign and Domestic Institutional Investors in an Emerging Market,"
IMF Working Papers
13/90, International Monetary Fund.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2013. "The investment technology of foreign and domestic institutional investors in an emerging market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 65-88.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2013. "The investment technology of foreign and domestic institutional investors in an emerging market," Working Papers 13/124, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Tarun Ramadorai, 2008. "What determines transaction costs in foreign exchange markets?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 14-25.
- Jinjarak, Yothin & Wongswan, Jon & Zheng, Huanhuan, 2011. "International fund investment and local market returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 572-587, March.
- Jotikasthira, Chotibhak & Lundblad, Christian T. & Ramadorai, Tarun, 2009. "Asset fire sales and purchases and the international transmission of financial shocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 7595, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Momtchil Pojarliev & Richard M. Levich, 2010. "Detecting Crowded Trades in Currency Funds," NBER Working Papers 15698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Òscar Jordà & Alan M. Taylor, 2009.
"The Carry Trade and Fundamentals: Nothing to Fear But FEER Itself,"
NBER Working Papers
15518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2012. "The carry trade and fundamentals: Nothing to fear but FEER itself," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 74-90.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2009. "The Carry Trade and Fundamentals: Nothing to Fear But FEER Itself," CEPR Discussion Papers 7568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kang, Hyung Cheol & Lee, Dong Wook & Park, Kyung Suh, 2010. "Does the difference in valuation between domestic and foreign investors help explain their distinct holdings of domestic stocks?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2886-2896, December.
- Sandro C. Andrade & Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2010.
"Pessimistic Foreign Investors and Turmoil in Emerging Markets: the case of Brazil in 2002,"
Working Papers Series
211, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Andrade, Sandro C. & Kohlscheen, Emanuel, 2010. "Pessimistic Foreign Investors and Turmoil in Emerging Markets : The Case of Brazil in 2002," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 926, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Tsai, Pei-Jung, 2009. "International equity flows and country funds," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 862-894, December.
- Eduardo Olaberría, 2012. "Capital Inflows and Booms in Assets Prices: Evidence From a Panel of Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 675, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jotikasthira, Chotibhak & Lundblad, Christian & Ramadorai, Tarun, 2013. "How do foreign investors impact domestic economic activity? Evidence from India and China," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 89-110.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.