Distance Still Matters: Evidence from Municipal Bond Underwriting
AbstractUsing a sample of municipal bond offerings, I find that "local" investment banks have substantial comparative and absolute advantages over nonlocal counterparts---locals charge lower fees and sell bonds at lower yields. Local investment banks' strongest comparative advantage is at underwriting bonds with higher credit risk and bonds not rated by rating agencies. These findings suggest that high-risk bonds and nonrated bonds are more difficult to evaluate and market, and that investment banks with a local presence are better able to assess "soft" information and place difficult bond issues. The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 21 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gaspar, Jose-Miguel & Massa, Massimo, 2007. "Local ownership as private information: Evidence on the monitoring-liquidity trade-off," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 751-792, March.
- Lau, Sie Ting & Yu, Jing, 2010. "Does proximity matter in international bond underwriting?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2027-2041, September.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & John, Kose & Waisman , Maya, 2012. "Urban agglomeration and CEO compensation," Research Discussion Papers 17/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Knyazeva, Anzhela & Knyazeva, Diana, 2012. "Does being your bank’s neighbor matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1194-1209.
- Seo, Bongman, 2011. "Geographies of Finance : Centers, Flows, and Relations," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 52(1), pages 69-86, June.
- Anand, Amber & Gatchev, Vladimir A. & Madureira, Leonardo & Pirinsky, Christo A. & Underwood, Shane, 2011. "Geographic proximity and price discovery: Evidence from NASDAQ," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 193-226, May.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta & Laeven, Luc, 2011.
"The Flight Home Effect: Evidence from the Syndicated Loan Market During Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8337, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta & Laeven, Luc, 2012. "The flight home effect: Evidence from the syndicated loan market during financial crises," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 23-43.
- Arena, Matteo P. & Dewally, Michaël, 2012. "Firm location and corporate debt," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1079-1092.
- Mandell, Svante & Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2013.
"Financial Infrastructure and House Prices,"
Working Paper Series
13/7, Department of Real Estate and Construction Management & Centre for Banking and Finance (cefin), Royal Institute of Technology.
- Clemens Sialm & Zheng Sun & Lu Zheng, 2013. "Home Bias and Local Contagion: Evidence from Funds of Hedge Funds," NBER Working Papers 19570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xun Tang, 2008. "Bounds on Revenue Distributions in Counterfactual Auctions with Reserve Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-042, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Schertler, Andrea, 2011. "Cross-border venture capital flows and local ties: Evidence from developed countries," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 36-48, February.
- Sadok El Ghoul & Omrane Guedhami & Yang Ni & Jeffrey Pittman & Samir Saadi, 2012. "Does Religion Matter to Equity Pricing?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 111(4), pages 491-518, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.