How Do Diversity of Opinion and Information Asymmetry Affect Acquirer Returns?
AbstractWe examine the theoretical predictions that link acquirer returns to diversity of opinion and information asymmetry. Theory suggests that acquirer abnormal returns should be negatively related to information asymmetry and diversity-of-opinion proxies for equity offers but not cash offers. We find that this is the case and that, more strikingly, there is no difference in abnormal returns between cash offers for public firms, equity offers for public firms, and equity offers for private firms after controlling for one of these proxies, idiosyncratic volatility. , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yu, Jialin, 2011. "Disagreement and return predictability of stock portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 162-183, January.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Malhotra, Shavin & Zhu, PengCheng, 2011. "Emerging country cross-border acquisitions: Characteristics, acquirer returns and cross-sectional determinants," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 250-271, September.
- Harford, Jarrad & Humphery-Jenner, Mark & Powell, Ronan, 2012. "The sources of value destruction in acquisitions by entrenched managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 247-261.
- Jones, Jeffrey S. & Lee, Wayne Y. & Yeager, Timothy J., 2012. "Opaque banks, price discovery, and financial instability," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 383-408.
- Bauguess, Scott & Stegemoller, Mike, 2008. "Protective governance choices and the value of acquisition activity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 550-566, December.
- Furfine, Craig H. & Rosen, Richard J., 2011. "Mergers increase default risk," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 832-849, September.
- Lin, Hsuan-Chu & Chou, Ting-Kai & Cheng, Jia-Chi, 2011. "Does market misvaluation drive post-acquisition underperformance in stock deals?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 690-706, October.
- Dai, Yun & Gryglewicz, Sebastian & Smit, Han T.J. & De Maeseneire, Wouter, 2013. "Similar bidders in takeover contests," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 544-561.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey & Pedersen, David & Voetmann, Torben, 2013. "Skill differences in corporate acquisitions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 166-181.
- Basu, Nilanjan & Dimitrova, Lora & Paeglis, Imants, 2009. "Family control and dilution in mergers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 829-841, May.
- Vijh, Anand M. & Yang, Ke, 2013. "Are small firms less vulnerable to overpriced stock offers?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 61-86.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Paladino, Giovanna, 2011. "Is M&A different during a crisis? Evidence from the European banking sector," MPRA Paper 35065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francis, Jere R. & Martin, Xiumin, 2010. "Acquisition profitability and timely loss recognition," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 161-178, February.
- Gonenc, Halit & Hermes, Niels & van Sinderen, Erik, 2013. "Bidders’ gains and family control of private target firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 856-867.
- Hayunga, Darren K. & Holowczak, Richard D. & Lung, Peter P. & Nishikawa, Takeshi, 2012. "Derivatives traders’ reaction to mispricing in the underlying equity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2438-2454.
- Dutordoir, Marie & Roosenboom, Peter & Vasconcelos, Manuel, 2014. "Synergy disclosures in mergers and acquisitions," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 88-100.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Paeglis, Imants & Simonyan, Karen, 2009. "The medium of exchange in acquisitions: Does the private information of both acquirer and target matter?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 523-542, December.
- Barbopoulos, Leonidas & Sudarsanam, Sudi, 2012. "Determinants of earnout as acquisition payment currency and bidder’s value gains," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 678-694.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Paladino, Giovanna, 2013. "Is M&A different during a crisis? Evidence from the European banking sector," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5394-5405.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Roll, Richard, 2010. "Negotiations under the threat of an auction," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 241-255, November.
- Jiao, Jie & Qiu, Bin & Yan, An, 2013. "Diversification and heterogeneity of investor beliefs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3435-3453.
- Massa, Massimo & Zhang, Lei, 2009. "Cosmetic mergers: The effect of style investing on the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 400-427, September.
- Henock Louis & Amy Sun, 2010. "Investor Inattention and the Market Reaction to Merger Announcements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(10), pages 1781-1793, October.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 2009. "Bidding strategies and takeover premiums: A review," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 149-178, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.